how to upload a photo of ID to verify

Lisa37
Level 3
Pelican Lagoon, Australia

how to upload a photo of ID to verify

I need to verify my photo government ID to book with another host.
I can't work out how to do it.
I do not have a camera on my PC, and if I take a photo of my passport, where is the fuction to upload the photo file?

I am a host, who has taken many bookings in the last year.  This is my first experience with making a booking and it is very frustating.
Surely it should not b e this hard to verify!

100 Replies 100

Sorry, no solution, just a pained echo of your message and query..

I have spent hours trying to upload a photo ID.. using a photo of my  Passport  details... all to no avail.. Really, really frustrating. I get the same message.. "photo is unclear.etc., please ensure the edge of the document is clearly demarcated and visible", (or words to that effect).  

Well, actually, No.. it couldn't be clearer! and the photo clearly shows the edge of the passport!

I started with a simple photo.. but the edge  of the page wasn't clear.. and the photo wasn't accepted. Ok, maybe fair enough, I thought.. I then made sure that the edge of the page was clear, but that wasn't accepted either... so I folded the passport to exclude the adjoining page (!!) and  went to the effort of sellotaping the passport in the folded position, so that I could actually physically catch just the details page, to ensure it would be acceptable as requested... and Lo! it still wasnt acceptable.. This is a nonsense!

Raging at Airbnb!

Has anyone had any succcess contactng Airbnb Heelp Desk?

Can anyone advise, please, how to get a photo ID accepted???? E

AHa! Just scrolled down and found a suggested solution.. It worked!  Here's the trick...

from Timea in Budapest, Hungary...

"The solution that user Jamshid suggested a few months ago actually worked for me, and took only a few mins. Thanks!

This:

"Go to the App. Click on your name on top or your Photo.Then on top right click Edit. Then scroll down to find Govenrment ID. Then press " Provide" and it will allow you to take a photo of your DL or ID."  "

Thanks to Timea and to Jamshid!!

But what a pain the whole process is! Definite negative for AIrbnb.. they will lose customers with this inadequate system..

E

no... this did not work either

Jan330
Level 2
Prague, Czech Republic

I have just uploaded bad BW photo in passport and matching with color selfie 5 years later works - strange. Have you tried to make an ID scan somewhere else - good scanner, shoot with good camera and upload from PC?

But I agree with previous comments - the ID verification feature is really terrible. App says "we need your ID, but your device cannot do that, go to web". Web says "you should give us an ID, but you can book also without it". So I have booked without.. Next day there comes the reservation was canceled (by me!) because there was no ID uploaded. WTF??!! Ok, uploaded ID, Web says "give us selfie", sends SMS with link "go to https://abn..." (exactly this broken address!). Fortunately the matching was working on second attempt...

Next you have to wait before bank processes canceled payment if you want to pay again.. Really terrible UX and any hotel reservation with just bank card is so simple! I am giving one more chance to ABNB, but if such experience repeats with some other ID/address/whatever in the future, it will definitely disappoint a lot of users=customers.

Heather-Renee0
Level 2
Saint Petersburg, FL

It won't focus.  Why won't it focus.  Please tell me how to make it focus.

I wanted to contact a host for a 5 week stay but gave up due to inability to scan DL from computer. I've not had problems on a computer so irritating as to change plans requiring me to go elsewhere. 

José185
Level 1
Pimentel District, Peru

It's really frustrating

Im going to miss my reservation just because I can't scan my id. It just doesn't work.

Tímea0
Level 2
Budapest, Hungary

The solution that user Jamshid suggested a few months ago actually worked for me, and took only a few mins. Thanks!

This:

"Go to the App. Click on your name on top or your Photo.Then on top right click Edit. Then scroll down to find Govenrment ID. Then press " Provide" and it will allow you to take a photo of your DL or ID."

Heroes of the day! You and Jamshid, both! Thanks! It worked! After hours trying via my laptop, and getting repeated messages to say the photo wasn't clear, etc., it was great.., mighty altogether.., to find your solution! What a pain the whole process is! but thanks for providing the solution! E

just tried that too...Does not  work!!!

Kath21
Level 1
Central Luzon, Philippines

I had the same issue using a smartphone. Here's what I've done:

1. Make sure that the color of your ID is contrasting with the background. Let's say the color of your ID is light blue, place your ID at the top of a brown/black table.

2. Make sure there's an adequate lighting around your area so that the camera can recognize and capture the image.

William477
Level 2
Brandon, Canada

You have my total sympathy. Same problem here. Some host in Australia lost $1000 of my business last year because the document I’d thing could never be resolved. 

Dean-Anthony0
Level 1
Enfield, United Kingdom

You would think Air B&B would sort this problem out , as they will lose alot of custom , It will put a lot of people off using them including myself!

Tim483
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

What a poor showing. This is the best UI that silicon valley's billion$ can do?

All it needs is this:

instead of that almost horizontal line that is actually a down arrow (that might be on-brand - but is NOT intuitive) add a nice green NEXT button.

I've worked for 30 years in UI/UX and this is one of the worst examples.

Did you not user-test this? I can't believe you didn't... so - fire the QA team lead.

APPALLING.

Tim483
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Seriously - a 10-minute skype call and we could sort this out.

[Email hidden] - let's make an appointment at your leisure. I look forward to your response. 

Although I won't hold my breath, judging by the fact that there are 4 pages of complaints about this very issue, going back to 1016 - and it is still not fixed.

AMAZING!