problems with my village allowing airbnb listings

Bruce43
Level 10
Kfar Blum, Israel

problems with my village allowing airbnb listings

it seems the housing committee has or is trying to make Airbnb / short term renting a problem where I live.

so I have two bookings for today and next week and I will decide my plan of action.

until then I just raised my prices 300% and hope I won't get a booking.

quite sad.02-IMG_5179.JPG

looking sad

22 Replies 22
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Bruce43 I would advice you to visit the housing committee in your region and negotiate with them about the issue with short term bookings. Who knows you may get lucky! I think increasing your pricing by 300% will bring your listing to the abyss but it doesnt mean that booking your place will be impossible. If you want to stop hosting just remove your listing. Good luck with the committee!!!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Please help me understand why you don't snooze your listing, @Bruce43.  Seems logical to me but perhaps there is a downside I don't know about.

@Linda108 I think if I snooze I loose according to Airbnb.

I will just price myself out of the market for a month or 2.

And see just what happens because there must be quite a few places for short-term rent.

In the hood.

With unvetted guests.

I have eyes.

I will say one thing, my wife and I worked our buns off this year and made quite a profit.

We Became Airbnb super-hosts with a  97% rating.

And it was fun.

Also, I have met people from all over the world, and I have hope for humankind from the guests I hosted.

I could also make my listing for 30 days or more..........drinking wine is healthy....it is the way I have my juice.

Bruce43
Level 10
Kfar Blum, Israel

@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0@Linda108

Goodbye, My my friends it's hard to go.
I have to delist my listing.
Actually, I had a lot of fun being a host.
The learning curve was kind of steep.
But in the long run, it was a good run.
I met some great hosts on the board.
And the one thing that still amazes me.
Is how much effort we put into being a good host.
So on 15 November, I will put my listing to sleep.
And hopefully, the housing committee will come to its senses.
Be well, be honest, and remember the Alamo.

Bruce and Sabrina

@Bruce43  You have been a cogent and helpful contributor to the community.  Hope your village will change sometime down the line.  

We will look forward to hearing from you for a couple of weeks at least, right?

@Linda108  I am just a guy whose thoughts are often like six fireflies glowing randomly in a jar."

As I found out Hosting on Airbnb, being eccentric has become my typical personality.

Along with an aversion to hair in the sink.

I will stick around for a while, and like all Airbnb hosts I will just make a cocoon and turn into a beautiful butterfly.

Just kidding I need to ponder I'm a freelancer, which means I lance a lot.

Please tip your servers.

bruce

@Bruce43 I am very sad to hear such news from you, I know how both of you were motivated and always happy to host people from all over the world and it will be a great lost for Airbnb and the community to lose such nice hosts like you. I wish that the committee in your region will change their policy, remember that we all live on a planet which is constantly in motion and which means that the wheels can always turn in your favor. Don't lose hope. I wish you good luck and a lot of happiness in your life. We will all miss you in this community!!! 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww @Bruce43, this is so sad to hear. I do hope you will be able to continue hosting, so please do keep us updated.

It is lovely having you part of our community here and your humour always helps to bring a happy outlook on life. I hope this won't mean you will be saying goodbye to the Community Center as you are always welcome here? 🙂 

(Just mentioning in a few other CC members I think you spoke with quite a lot in case they haven't seen you message, @Alice-and-Jeff0@Andrea9@Branka-and-Silvia0@Farah1@Gerry-And-Rashid0@Huaai0@Ange2@Ange2@Lawrene0@J-Renato0@Robin4@Paul154, I am sure there are many more!)

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

So very sorry to hear this @Bruce43, what a shame.

Wanted to inject here that you have another option to snoozing, namely to choose the option on your calendar to have by default all dates blocked. This is handy for ex. for those hosts only offering their listing for certain days or weeks when off on vacation. Might be an option for you. I've never seen anybody mention any adverse effects to their visibility. Maybe somebody else here has more experience and can enlighten us...

@Andrea9 im going to snooze the listing for at least the summer.

Hopefully, the rules will change as I don't envision people with listings will take this sitting down.

Remember "no taxation without representation."

or something like that.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Bruce43

Maybe snoozing is the best for you in this case. It renders your listing unfindable, whereas a listing with calendar blocked by default can still be found when zooming in on an area. Hope you and possibly together with other hosts can get the decision re STR turned back or changed to your advantage.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Very sorry to hear, @Bruce43. So far my village has not turned on me, but it is a worry, and I understand why snoozing is not an option when the rabble cry is, "Take it down!" All the best against the pitchforks and torches. 

running-from-the-mob.jpg

@Lawrene0   I am going to snooze the listing until I find out "who is in charge here." 

Banging on the desk helps in Israel with all the red tape.   

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I am so sorry to hear that @Bruce43 😞 and I don't understand why they have done it and why they don't want tourists come to your willage. Willage can only profit from them.