quality sheets and towels

quality sheets and towels

being new and all, i have to ask...

i got waterproof mattress covers and pillow protectors. i got white cotton sheets.  i got white towels.  the protectors are great.

the cheap cotton sheets probably weren't cotton.  i found them on amazon with a lot of paid reviews.  the white towels are already starting to fall apart.  they were on serious sale with high ratings

i go to the dollar store and/or buy bulk individual servings of soaps, so i figure that's good.  but i'm having fits over the expense of crappy linens.

does anybody have recommendations on where to get good quality sheets and towels that last a long time and are inexpensive?  i know, right?

thanks

66 Replies 66

Your comments about make up amazes me! When I travel, i use my own travel wet wipes. never new this problem existed! I am hosting as well and so far didn't have problems with makeup wearers. Probably in Europe people use less make up 🙂

I am having the same issue with makeup and fake tan, the guests just use the lovely white face cloths not the tissues provided.

Same, real annoying. I switched to black towels but was told it looks like I am hidding something.

Have you considered leaving out makeup removing wipes?

I provide Costco makeup wipes and have changed from white towels to the Gun metal grey and have not had a problem since.  

Rick - we are also looking at moving to dark wash clothes for this exact reason (i.e. make up). Any insight on the types of materials? We've used dark in the past and found the color runs after a few washes, so I'm trying to find high quality dark towels that will hold up over many washes! 

Heather5
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

I've been looking everywhere for advice on what "COLOR" sheets are best.  I think white has to be the wrong way to go?

Hotels have much better access to cleaning and bleaching etc that my little operation and I feel that I'm looking for sheets

that won't stain as easily with sweat, drool, and other bodily fluids that you'd expect to show up on used sheets.

Any comments, suggestions?  

So far, I'm about to start with Ikea sheets that are dark grey.  And is cotton really the best since turnover is high?

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

If a place didn't have white sheets I wouldn't stay there, simple as that.  I wouldn't sleep on coloured sheets for the same reason you don't want to use white ones.

I bought a set of those Ikea Gaspa sheets you've bought for my son's bed.  He slept on them for a week and then they went to the local Goodwill.  They're too thin and wrinkle easily.    If you do go ahead and use them you'll have to iron them before making up the bed.  I don't think they're a good choice for an Airbnb listing.

I use a white cotton/bamboo mix for all my Airbnb linens.  It's robust, feels thick and smooth and requires minimal ironing.  

I only use white sheets. They look clean. 

but lucked out and discovered no-iron sheets that are 58% cotton work best for me. My guests rave 'bout how luxurious they are. It figures that I bought the only set they had available and were 1/2 off of clearance price. "Venus Home" is on the tag and they are 42% polyester.

Rick0
Level 6
Savannah, Georgia, United States

I resolved the ironing issue after I got several listings....I send them out!!  It's not expensive...the sheets look wonderful---I don't worry about stains, etc...the laundry takes care of it (or is responsible)...& it's tax deductible...what could be easier??  I still think 100% cotton is the way to go

Hey Rick - where do you send them out? Does someone pickup and drop off? Cost? Thank you!

Rick0
Level 6
Savannah, Georgia, United States

I'm interested to know (for those hosts who will only sleep on "white only" sheets)....How do you know if an airbnb hosts uses white sheets?  Certainly you don't ask this in your reservation message??  Do you cancel if you arrive to find (horrors!!)...pastel or colored sheets?

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

If I couldn't see the colour of the sheets in the photos then yes, I'd ask.  I want white sheets and white towels, always.

Cotton/bamboo mix seems promising - any particular brands that make these sheets? Thanks!