smell from cooking

smell from cooking

we hosted a wonderful couple from India for one month and they just left the house yesterday. However, there is a lingering STRONG smell from cooking in the house, all over the linens and furnitures, and even the hallway. How can I get rid of the smell? I opened the window and turned on the fan for two days but the smell is still there, is there any effectiver way to quickly get rid of it? We have another guest coming in tomorrow and really want the house smell neutral again. Thank you for the advice!

9 Replies 9
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Hate to sound flippant but have you considered Fabreze?

well, i am terrified by some of our guests of claiming the Febreeze "Chemical", I got two incidents that we have the Febreeze plug in and they claim they got asthma because of the smell, and demand refund. Since then we try to use no-scent cleaning agent. I just wonder if someone has successfully get rid of the curry smell quickly.  

Lynne2
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

I don't like using air fresheners in my home because I'm allergic to perfumes.  An excellent natural odour absorber is bicarbonate of soda (I think you call it baking soda?).  If you add in some lemon juice it is even more effective.  You can leave a few bowls around if the smell is bad.  Unfortunately you may have to have your curtains washed, as they are notorious for harbouring smells.

Jillian13
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi did you find any ways to get rid of the smells? Just had an identical issue and I can't get rid of the smells. It's a single space studio and I'm hoping not to have to replace the bed and couch... worried 😞

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

You could also sprinkle dry bicarb on textiles, rugs etc which cannot be washed, leave for as long as you can and vacuum it up. It is a smell which sticks to everything, I agree. A real issue. I have only experienced two night guests cooking this type of food and cannot imagine a whole month. Wash the floors, any surfaces with hot water which has a splash of tea tree oil in. Clean the rangehood filters and degrease them. Bring in fresh scented flowers. Clean the windows and mirrors, always helps to make a space smell fresh.

In other words, a perfect scenario to get a good spring cleaning done!

It is terrible and I hope you fix it in time.

Jim73
Level 2
Lake Zurich, IL

Try putting a bowl of vinegar in the corner of the room for a few hours.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Jillian13,

@Sandra126 and @Jim73 have given your some great alternatives to using spays here. Staying on the theme of cleaning tips, you might also like to take a look at a different topic by Sandra on grout cleaning and a thread generally on magical tips for removing stains! 🙂

Do let us know how you get on. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

I’m 

Oops sorry!  We have had an issue with curry as well.  The smell lingered for a couple of months.