Welcome to the San Diego section!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Welcome to the San Diego section!

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the San Diego specific section where you can connect with other hosts in your area and post local discussions, for example, topics on booking trends, general local recommendations, meetups and events.

As always, please remember to keep the Community Center Guidelines in mind also when you interact on this board.

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

1 Reply 1
Maya29
Level 2
San Diego, CA

(Here's a letter I just wrote)

Dear Airbnb,

I am an Airbnb Host, and I am also an advocate for keeping short term rentals in San Diego. I have spoken on behalf of Airbnb at all but one of the council meetings.

I have been monitoring some of the more recent issues via the Airbnb website and I am becoming disgruntled by some of the things that are happening.

First of all, the "auto-populated" computer program. When creating a New Search, it automatically changes the search for rentals in the San Diego area to show only "Instant Book," unless it's turned off. Even if the feature is turned off, it keeps changing back to the "Instant Book" feature each time a search is performed. This is a Bad Thing! Especially for SD.

Here's why: Most of the advocates that have spoken on behalf of keeping Airbnb in San Diego need the option to turn down guests they're uncomfortable with. They have "Instant Book" Turned Off!

For Example: Potential Guests that don't read the listings, or try to get away with being dishonest and breaking the rules even before they arrive can be eliminated by Not using this feature. One of the major issues in San Diego, was hosts not being accountable or responsible for enforcing a "Good Neighborly Quality," and we get that. As I explained to the City Council, (which is a matter of public record) "...not all hosts are irresponsible, we have the option to turn people down that we think might be reckless, out-of-control, or a disturbance to the community. I am one of the hosts the check people in, in-person and have them sign a Vacation Rental Agreement." (Then I handed copies of the listing, copies of the contracts, to the Council members, and showed good practices in due-diligence; as did many other responsible hosts who stood up for Airbnb. (This was a major factor in them deciding to let Airbnb continue to list San Diego properties.)

However, now because of the "auto-populated" computerized system, changing the search option, and automatically turning on the "Instant Book" feature, the responsible half of the advocates for Airbnb in San Diego, who choose Not to use the "Instant Book Feature," have virtually Invisible Listings. Potential Guests aren't seeing them. My listing, along with many others listings aren't being seen, and therefore aren't renting at the rate they once were, or not at all.

Please do something to change the Instant Book feature.

Airbnb has created a Monopoly of "Instant Book Hosts" for San Diego. Once the San Diego City Council gets wind of it, they may ban Airbnb.com entirely, as one of the Allowed Home Sharing Websites, and restrict home sharing to websites that show more careful practices in responsible hosting.

And before I forget to mention it, as a direct result of the feature, Airbnb is now putting myself along with other hosts who depend on our listings, in a position of financial burden.

Please help us keep home sharing in San Diego, and either eliminate or change this feature to something that doesn't automatically turn on.

Maya **

Responsible Host and Advocate for San Diego