AIRBNB HOME OWNER EXCHANGE SWAP SERVICE

Diana-And-Don0
Level 7
Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic

AIRBNB HOME OWNER EXCHANGE SWAP SERVICE

In my opinion, we are probably a huge community of owners in many countries that would like to be able to swap homes. I for one would like to go to Eastern Europe, spend more time in France, Souther Spain, Scotland, Ireland,  etc... I am willing to bet that 

the owners there would consider sawaping  to spend some time under the sun here in the dominican Republic.

AIRBNB should offer us this service. 

It should enable us to offer our properties on an exchange basis. Like the home exchange website each owner can list the countries, regions, cities where they would like to visit and offer and offer an exchange with other owners. Of course certain rules would need to be applied.

- The swaps valid only  owner to owner (eventually family members that would need to be vetted and join the community).

- AIRBNB would charge a "service fee" for services rendered.  This fee to be charged to ensure that exchanges are guarantied ....

- One just needs to go the Home Exchange website and see how it works  except with AIRBNB.

Let's motivate AIRBNB to offer this service, the choice of hundreds of thousands of homes out there are just waiting to be swapped.

145 Replies 145

If you ever wanted to get to the Bay Area of California I would love to swap for the Lake District!

I have a property in the Palm Springs area and love the idea of swapping places 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Airbnb already IS an incredible House swapping website.

Someone pays me $1000 to stay at my place.

I now can spend $1000 all to stay at someone else's place.

All this, without the constraints of timing and value determination. Plus, I can choose to go anywhere, whenever I want.

The only advantage of house swapping is you may believe that you can hide  the income, but you are still supposed to claim it.

@Paul154

An interesting uestion about tax and I am sure it varies depending where you are, I assumed not a tax issue in the US?

David
Diana-And-Don0
Level 7

I dubt very much any taxes on a free of charge service provided.

Here, in Dom Republic  we are in a virtaul tax haevan... Hardly any taxes CPA would starve.

Diana-And-Don0
Level 7

Paul do your math and  be logical.  I will not offer a house swap when I am sure to be renting one of my units during high season.   Here our HIGH in Dom Republic  it is from mid december throug end of April   Anytime other than that and during mid and low season when I nothing to loose.  By the way a swap does not have to be simultaneous!

Moreover, you are in Saettle, don't forget that you pay taxes on your rentals.  No taxes whatsover on a swap.

Also don't forget that you pay 3% to AIRBNB service fee and that guests pay between 5 and 9% depending on rental value.  Do your math on $1000 + $1000?

So as Jeff mentioned let's all go on Host-Voice/idb-p/host-voice#new 

Sunanda0
Level 3
Sebastian, FL

Great idea. We're in!

Thats great. Would love that.

More travelling.....

Diana-And-Don0
Level 7

Let's keep the thread going and go  AIRBNB Host Voice and lobby AIRBNB to offer this option
The more the better and maybe they will react.

Diana-And-Don0
Level 7

So far AIRBNB has not made any moves to offer this service to Hosts.

Lets keep up the conversation and get them involved

Thanks for helping make it happen.

Don

Dorka-and-Levi0
Level 2
Budapest, Hungary

It would be amazing! Just had the same idea and I am so glad I found this conversation:)

Diana-And-Don0
Level 7

Let's keep the thread going and go  AIRBNB Host Voice and lobby AIRBNB to offer this option

MicheleandLouw0
Level 10
Maun, Botswana

I would absoluty love to be part of such an arangement!

Diana-And-Don0
Level 7

Rod45
Level 3
Rozelle, Australia

I also think its a great idea .......but I've already received similar requests from other hosts......unfortunately from areas I'm not so keen on visiting & the qualities of the properties are far less than mine . But do not forget there were lots of home swapping platforms out there before Airbnb came to prominence....remember the charming house swapping film called " the Holiday " with Cameron Diaz & Kate Winslet released 2006 !!!

I do think Airbnb should create something like this as an extra bonus / " thankyou " for superhosts ...the notion of  networking , bonding with others in the sharing community from all different cultures & belief systems & sharing advice / tips / ideas .

Airbnb used to have extensive promotions here in Sydney when they were establishing the market here ...I was continually invited to upmarket venues with great catering & gifts like my Dyson bagless stick vacuum cleaner ......seriously it was like being on the Ophra Winfrey show ...but since they have dominated the market here in Sydney they have not been hosting events like this for over a year or so ...