Advice wanted on how to change my listing of fit in with Covid-19 situation in Melbourne, Australia

David3418
Level 4
Ringwood, Australia

Advice wanted on how to change my listing of fit in with Covid-19 situation in Melbourne, Australia

In Australia there have been only 21 cases of covid-19 in last 7 days and more importantly, we are regarded as one of the world's best countries for containing the virus. So, I'm thinking maybe I can share my two bedroom unit again with Air Bnb guests, especially since I'm not getting as much work these days. I live in Melbourne, Victoria, where there is 10% community transmission.

I would like advice on how to modify my listing to make it appropriate for the current circumstances.

I have the following ideas:

- Express a preference for guests to install the Australian Government CovidSafe app on their mobile phone (I don't think legally I can make them do this).

- Request they try to keep 1.5 metres distancing at all times (but also acknowledging that it may not be possible to always do this).

- Make it clear that they are free to use my soap as much as they like to wash their hands.

- Spray food grade hydrogen peroxide (which kills viruses) on kitchen counter top and door knobs daily and make it clear they are free to use my supply for this purpose as much as they feel appropriate.

On the issue of soap, I use expensive goat soap because I get a rash on my hands otherwise. Is it reasonable to buy cheaper soap for them to use and ask them to use that instead? Or does it make me look like a cheapskate and not a good idea because it can't be enforced any way?

I don't think I want to wear a face mask in my own home or ask the guest to wear one, or to wear gloves or anything extreme like that. I want to strike the right balance between reasonable precautions and not creating too much work and hassle for both myself and the guest.

I want guests to feel safe and myself to feel safe but not put people off either.

Since I live in the outer eastern suburb of Ringwood I need to keep my price low, so I don't want to spend too much money on any of this.

Any ideas on what else I could do or feedback on my suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3 Replies 3
Ocean50
Level 6
Revesby, Australia

@David3418 

I am not a medical expert but let say you can enforce all of your ideas (which doesn't seem practical in the first place) I highly doubt that you won't catch the virus if your guest really has covid-19. You guys still live in the same house, sharing the same bathroom, cooking in the same kitchen and more things that I can't even listed.

It is really up to you to accept guest or not, but it is purely depend on how comfortable you are with the current situation. Like you said Australia is doing great, you might be completely comfortable about the situation, then by all means accept guests. But make no mistake, if he/she has covid-19 you will get it.

Your ideas are something to enforce in a public space for a huge population to SLOW DOWN (not stopping it btw) the spread of covid-19.

@David3418  I agree with @Ocean50  here; the "social distancing" guidelines are intended for public places that one passes through in relatively brief intervals. They aren't realistic for shared households, where the combination of airflow, duration of time onsite, and common surfaces all but guarantee transmission between co-residents if one is infected with this particular virus. That doesn't mean you shouldn't practice all the hygienic measures you laid out, but I think it would be misleading for an onsite host to make any intimation that they can offer a "safe" environment to guests with concerns about Covid transmission.

Not to be too alarmist here - let's take good news when we can get it - but we also have to remember that pandemics don't tend to follow the linear narratives that our minds are conditioned to project on them. What looks like great progress one week can quickly become unraveled by previously missing data, a new wave of outbreaks, or a new mutation the next. Any of these factors could cause the easing of restrictions to be reversed. The information at hand when you accept a booking now will almost certainly be outdated by the time the check-in date arrives. 

I would seriously question the motivations and wisdom of a guest who chooses to stay in a shared home with a stranger at the moment (and also those of the host, though it's easier to assume that it's all about the money). You might want to correspond in greater depth before accepting a booking, to make sure it happens in the context of mutual trust and a common agreement about the risk-management procedures - and also to make sure that you can handle being stuck together if another lockdown happens.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @David3418 ,

Find a copy of your Public Health Act & have a read.

I'm sure the Australian Act will be much the same as the NZ PHA, & there's a piece on Infectious diseases & cleaning.

The older PHA are also worth while finding & reading as they were written in eras of far less sanitary conditions than what we live in.

Have a read of your listing, & that of your competition, & Incorporate mentioning your requirements to be transparent & ask questions of your potential guests, purpose of their stay, activities they may intend doing whilst staying in your home.

Whilst further lockdowns may or may happen, life is for living not been smothered in cotton wool.

It's a good idea to do an introductory tour when your guests arrive, show them where the cleaning products are in the bathroom & kitchen.

Exercise common sense.