Airbnb Charging Taxes on stays > 30 nights

Voyage0
Level 2
Boston, MA

Airbnb Charging Taxes on stays > 30 nights

Is anyone else getting taxed for stays > 30 nights? The tax law is clear that stays < 30 nights are to be taxed, yet Airbnb is charging taxes for reservations > 30 nights. This is impactful to guests since they are overpaying by up to 17.95%, and impactful to hosts since their listings are up to 17.95% more expensive than the alternatives. I raised this to customer support and they couldn't help me and pointed me to raise this to Airbnb in the feedback form. Not helpful so far. 

PS: My listings are for "business stays" in Boston.

4 Replies 4
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

In looking under the Massachusetts taxes here: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2587/occupancy-tax-collection-and-remittance-by-airbnb-in-massac...

It says that the max for taxes is 89 days for “professional” listings.  Perhaps your listing is being categorized as a “professional” listing.

Hi Pat. That's Airbnb's interpretation of it. The actual tax law they link doesn't require "professional listings" to be treated as a motel/hotel/lodging house which are subject to the 90 night rule. The tax law makes clear that short-term rentals (which is what our units are, even if they are professional listings) have a 30 night rule. Below is the excerpt. Source: https://www.mass.gov/technical-information-release/tir-19-3-changes-to-the-room-occupancy-excise-in-...

"Prior to the Act, G.L. c. 64G, § 3 imposed an excise upon the transfer of occupancy by an operator in Massachusetts of any room or rooms in a bed and breakfast establishment, hotel, lodging house or a motel for a period of not more than 90 consecutive calendar days.[4]  Beginning on or after July 1, 2019, the room occupancy excise also applies to the transfer of a room in a “short-term rental” for a period of not more than 31 consecutive calendar days, if a rental agreement was entered into on or after January 1, 2019.  The term “short-term rental” means an occupied property that is not a hotel, motel, lodging house, bed and breakfast establishment or bed and breakfast home, where at least 1 room or unit is rented out by an operator through the use of advance reservations.  A private owner-occupied property is considered a single unit if leased or rented as such.  A short-term rental accommodation includes one or more rooms in an apartment, house, cottage, or condominium.  It does not include property that is rented out through tenancies at will or month-to-month leases.  It also does not include time-share property.[5] "

@Pat271  @Voyage0 @Pat271 

This is a good topic.  I would welcome any advice.  My Guests   are usually  contract  workers and  sometimes a  few weeks  sometimes a  few  months.    The only  advice I  have received is  have the  Guest  contact Arizona satiate.    Airbnb   collects tax from  my  Guest  and pays  Arizona.  As the Host II  am  not involved..

Elisabeth662
Level 2
New York, NY

Yes it appears that they are running a scam. As an example: 30 days in Atlanta, GA will incur an approximately $600 tax charge while 31 days will incur a approximately $250 charge. Now a few days later they are charging the $600 for over 30 days aswell (the law didn't change within the last 7 days) They should actually be reported and on a different note I recently stayed in a apartment with a gas leak and no carbon monixde detectors. In addition, the place looked like a pig sty with roaches, bed bugs, black mold, stained mattress with animal hair etc. Airbnb stated that there was absolutly nothing wrong with missing carbon monoxide detectors  or the appearance of the dirty listing (which the host refused to install) NBC wrote an article about all the deaths from GAS LEAKS  in Airbnb listings.  The title is below:

In response to a string of deaths, Airbnb CEO says it's 'really hard' to make hosts install carbon monoxide detectors

Airbnb has spun out of control with  their illegalities and breaking the law especially by not abiding by fire codes and ignoring code enforcement. Their excuse is that they are "Airbnb" and they believe they are above the law.