Asking for discount for late check-in/early check-out

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Asking for discount for late check-in/early check-out

I've heard other hosts mention this, and now I've joined the club. I received this inquiry:

"Hi Suzanne!
Do you do a discounted rate for a late check in/early check out? We probably won’t be there until 9pm and will be leaving first thing in the morning!
Thanks!"

I responded with this:

"Hi [potential guest],

Thanks for considering my home! I do not do a discount for late check-in/early check-out because the same amount of time and effort goes into preparing and cleaning the room and bathroom no matter when you check in or out."

How would you have responded? And, would you block the date she had requested to prevent any potential issues, or would you let her book if she chooses to move forward without the discount?

And let's note we're talking about her total being less than $90/night with my normal rate.

9 Replies 9

Quite opposite - you charge them fee for late check in

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Suzanne302  These are the kinds of questions I answer, by not answering…. “Dear Suzanne, our best wishes for your trip! I’m sure you’ll find the just right spot that fits your budget. Take care, kelly”

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Yes, I would have said that the same amount of time is necessary regardless of when she comes.

Then pray the doesn't show up at all.

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Suzanne302  This is a frequent problem, either guests pushing the boundaries to get both an early check in and late check out as they feel they have paid for a full 24 hours .. and should get it… or looking for a discount for the reasons you outlined above.  I had a guest request to book two nights in October, but he wanted a late check out of 7:00pm.  Obviously this would not work and I explained that effectively I would not be able to let that night out to anyone else.  He then admitted he was just trying to save the cost of the extra night due to the current economic crisis but would book it anyway even though he would be leaving at 7:00pm and would we offer a discount?  I replied no, particularly as it is for half term week here in the U.K.  Anyway, he has booked and I have absolutely no doubt that I will inevitably be ‘dinged’ on value when he leaves a review which is now leaving me in the agonising position of either taking the ‘ding’ or refunding a nominal amount during his stay as a gesture of goodwill.  

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I go with something a little more similar to @Kelly149's response; short and sweet. I would very rarely offer a late c/o beyond 11am (the benefit of Airbnb - at least for me - is getting rid of folk fairy early in the day). Early check in - if it works for me - is OK, but the entitled sorts (tomorrow's guest has sprung it on me their flight lands at 6am) who just expect it don't get it (t least not for free).

Ask nicely and I'll do my best, expect it and I won't, @Suzanne302.

@Gordon0 

I have the same philosophy! Politeness will get you everything and entitlement will have me going out of my way to so no, even if I could reasonably accommodate the requests.

I think you may have been confused about my post though. The guest wasn't requesting early check-in or late check-out. She was asking for a discount because they weren't checking in until around 9pm and would be leaving early in the morning. I think she thought because they would only be using the room for less than half a day, they should pay less.

I have 2/3 one night stays and have to clean between them so no, I would never give a discount. Only recently did I have my first boundary pushing guest who did not respect my rules so I did not give her a review. When I next received a boundary pushing request,  for a 2 week stay which would have netted me over $1200. I did not accept the reservation because she would have driven me crazy and then dinged me. I have a 5.0 super-host status which is more important than the one time reservation.  

@Kate867 

I have 2/3 one night stays and have to clean between them so no, I would never give a discount. Only recently did I have my first boundary pushing guest who did not respect my rules so I did not give her a review. When I next received a boundary pushing request,  for a 2 week stay which would have netted me over $1200. I did not accept the reservation because she would have driven me crazy and then dinged me. I have a 5.0 super-host status which is more important than the one time reservation. @Kate867 

@Suzanne302  Your response was perfectly reasonable. I learned my lesson about discount-seekers, and I always decline them. But sometimes I find their "logic" wildly entertaining.  I've gotten at least 3 inquiries from people who genuinely believed that if they arrived after midnight, they wouldn't have to pay for the first night because it was technically the next calendar day.