Breakfast dilemma

Karen2732
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Breakfast dilemma

I have recently reduced my nightly fee due to omitting the breakfast as I discovered many guests didn't expect it or want it. 

Am I allowed to offer breakfast as an extra and if so how do i get the extra payment as I can't find it coming up anywhere? 

Thanks 

4 Replies 4

@Karen2732   It would be nice if Airbnb had a way to build optional add-on amenities like breakfast into the pricing upon booking. But since they don't, you have to use the Resolutions tool - https://www.airbnb.com/resolutions . When a guest wants to buy your breakfast, just request payment through that link.

Your listing currently says you've omitted breakfast because people don't want it. That won't entice anyone to order it. If you want to upsell your cuisine, make an appealing offer - say specifically which delicious treats guests can pre-order, specify the price, show it in the photos. And if you don't really want to do breakfast, just don't mention it at all.  But I'm certainly not going to pay extra money for some unnamed food when the only thing I know about it is that other people didn't want it. Would you?

Karen2732
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Thanks, I think it's easier to just be ready to offer a basic breakfast (and not the continental breakfast which is on offer) so as not to  request any further payment. 

@Karen2732   I find that breakfast in general is not a common amenity on Airbnb - the overwhelming majority of guests are not expecting it or seeking it out, so it's not really a selling point. I offered it for the first few months of hosting but quickly found that it was a waste of time. But complimentary coffee/tea is very popular with guests. And if you provide some kind of welcome pack, you might consider adding non-perishable food like granola bars, which can be purposed as either a quick breakfast or snack.

You seem to be in an area with plenty of cafes and shops, so it's much easier to let them venture out and find what they really want than to navigate their personal dietary quirks.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Karen2732,

I am sure that you're trying to provide extra value, but I recommend that you discontinue preparing food or offering any food that's come from an opened package where you've inserted your hand or a utensil.  Unless your place has a health and safety license for preparing food, you run the risk of getting into significant trouble if a guest has a bad reaction or incident to the food that you've offered.  I used to offer homemade treats, but stopped for this reason, and now only offer packaged biscuits/cookies, chips/crisps, coffee pods, tea bags, creamer pods, and instant hot chocolate packets.