Child Rules - please like if you agree!

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

Child Rules - please like if you agree!

I have had a series of parents with "babies" (sometimes up to 3 years old).
More damage.  More use of utilities.  Intensive use of kitchen, laundry, and other stay-at-home utilities (airco, heat, television, etc).
Trouble leaving the apartment tidy on departure.
Trouble communicating, they have too much going on.

Please like if you agree:

- Airbnb should differentiate between true BABIES/INFANTS (under one year, not yet walking talking eating by self) and TODDLERS (walking, talking, with special amenities needs and special safety needs). A 24 month old TODDLER is not an INFANT!

- Airbnb should require guest to input DATE OF BIRTH of child.  I have had guest reserve with BABY (for 3 year old running shouting child).  It is a minimum I believe for the host to know the date of birth of the children we are expected to provide for.

- Airbnb should allow an infant fee, like extra guest or pet  fee, for all of these inconveniences and for amenities such as baby bath, baby bed, changing mattress, etc etc)

- Airbnb should NOT let people with infants send trip request to properties that have expressly selected "not suitable for children"

- Airbnb lets a single person book *any* property with up to 5 (!!!!) infants for FREE!  This is outrageous and the parameters should be changed immediately.  Try it on your own place, you'll see!

- Airbnb should require that if booking with infant or child, both parents need to be on the reservation!!  and in the discussion.  This, after 4x same situation: a father of a new infant assured me that they do not require special amenities for the baby.  Mother was not in on  the conversations or the booking. Only to have a stressful catastrophe on arrival when Mom and Baby arrive and there is no baby xyz. Which they then expect the host to go out and immediately provide. Mom and Dad should be in the loop and know what is provided and what not.  If booking with 2 adults + infant:  REQUIRE both adults to be registered in the booking and in on the messaging!  Mom or Dad who is not taking care of the airbnb side needs to know if the property booked has child amenities and safety or not.

I am a mother of 2 grown children, I know how hard it is with young ones.  Impossible to leave on time or leave the place as tidy as you would like.   In my day we made due or got on with it, finding our own solution in local shops.  Never would I expect my host to go out and provide something special that we might need.  Especially if the property was highly regarded and "not suitable for children".  Never would I mind paying an extra fee for a bit of leniency in the cleaning after leaving with my 2 kids. 

25 Replies 25

Hi @Susan1188 you sound like us bringing up our children. But our rule was if we couldn't take our 1st newborn we didn't go. I was breast feeding at the time.

If we did go we were minimalists and we didn't have much in the 70's. No new fandangle gadgets that parents need today.

Yes, sleeping bag Pjs, own cuddly rugs. As you said using the sink to bath in.

But we were always conscious as to cleaning our mess because we didn't know what people would say or think.

However. as an Airbnb host I have bought a baby bath so there is no overspill into cupboards and floor. I had provided a collapsible washing basket and would say to use it for bathing.

Now I leave the baby bath on the spare bed and most people are using it.

I now leave a nappy bin with spare liners,  that is being used instead of filling the garbage bin.

I also leave a night light for use in the bathroom which is used for the toddler to find their way.or parents put it on in the bedroom.

Another item, the is a child's waterproof mattress on the bed and leav a clean disposable mattress for parents to us  on the bed. Parents seem to be getting the message.

Oh what we do if we enjoy having families to stay.

Deb216
Level 10
Newport, RI

I copied bits and pieces from other Host's House Rules specifically where the Host states the maximum number of babies/enfants and children. Take a peek at my listing and house rules to see.  It has worked well for me. Knock on wood!

Excellent listing, excellent description of amenities!  "Baby amenities supplied as a courtesy" that is fabulous!!! Thanks for that and going to use it.  For my renters who think it is just normal to require their host to provide a "bombu chair".

Alexandra199
Level 10
Gretton, United Kingdom

Oh goodness! You have hit the nail on the head with this. I would really like to refuse children at my listings if i could, especially babies. i read something not long ago that Airbnb were considering refusal of children as a discrimination matter?

I once had some parents contacted me regarding my log burner. They were travelling with the grandparents and a their own child who i understand was crawling. My house does not specify that it is perfect for small children so they knew what they were getting. I get this message "Hi, we are a little worried about *little darling* getting near the log burner because it is very hot. We currently have the coffee table on its side propped up against the fire to stop *little darling* from getting too close but we are worried that the heat may damage the coffee table. If i send off for this fireguard from Amazon would you please reimburse us for the cost......followed by picture of huge 5 foot wide wire fireguard costing £75. It was a hard no and a polite suggestion that they light the fire after 'little darling' had been put to bed.

I cant count how may times if been asked if i have a high chair, plug socket covers, padded table corners, stairgates etc etc Do hosts really provide all this stuff??

@Alexandra199  have a look at my listings and house rules and PM me if you want to discuss further!

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Susan1188 agree except for requiring children's DOB and requiring both parents on reservation-- many parents are single.

@Lisa723 point taken! Obviously if parents are single, for me there is no problem.  One parent makes the arrangements and deals with any issues on arrival!  All good!

My issue is, parent #1 agrees to a number of things, then they arrive and Parent #2 is surprised at what #1 agreed and absolutely immediately NEEDS a number of things that were explicity not agreed to:  (bottle warmer, extra cushion for baby bed, high chair, etc).

Kate2217
Level 1
Portland, ME

I'm new to hosting and have a tiny cottage. As in 255 square feet. I say not suitable for children but agreed to host a couple with a four year old. Dad assures me the boy sleeps with the parents and I agreed to host them for 3 days. I'm not providing anything special, period. As the stay gets closer I'll remind Dad of what I do not have, like a cot or toys, etc.  and of the community rules and hope for the best. 

@Kate2217  how did this work out?

I'm asking because it sounds like the exact blueprint of my last baby-stays:

Frazzled Dad found the airbnb and agrees to whatever you say.   No amentiies!  Pack n play bed only!  No safety features!

On arrival Mom has multiple urgent issues that need to be addressed.  Then: intensive use, breakage, more demands because when baby is sleeping I NEEED netflix (or wifi or dishwasher or fill in the blank) and can't leave the apartment tidy at check out time because baby nap/feeding schedule or just plain exhausted.

How did it work out for you?

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

Yes @Susan1188 l agree with you for Airbnb charging extra like pets or an extra adult (if you do charge) I don't think people think their is extra cleaning, for porta cot and linen if you supply, high chair, legs of table and chairs if they are crawling and other furniture as sonme pull themselves up, bed covers because they often change child on the spare bed. Or cleaning walls for marks or drawn on, finger marks on doors or windows if within reach or mirrors behind doors. These are items that Airbnb suggest you have for marketing to families with children or infants.

The cost of extra items such as; electric power point covers, furniture corner covers for coffee tables or Tv stands within head height of infant. 

Supplying cutltery, plates and cups for children, toys, books and games for little ones and then there is the disenfecting, wahing and wiping over these items and this all takes extra time.

I do this as I like sharing our cottage with families but after writing this I think why do this and I do understand why hosts choose not to have children on their listings.

@Laurelle3  I LOVE your post, stream of consciousness realization that in fact, hosting small travellers is more effort and work than hosting adults so why should this be marketed as free;

When, ever, do you have to think of cleaning the walls (and every possible finger-height surface) of dirty finger prints, except after hosting a "baby" of 2 years old which airbnb says should be free.

Have you ever gone to a restaurant after a table with a toddler in a high chair has left.

Table looks like a bomb exploded.  French fries all over the floor, ketchup everywhere, just a mess.  And that kid paid 3 dollars for his chickn nugget meal.   Cleaning staff had 10x the work of normal paying adult guests all evening. This is why I believe we should not be expected to host travellers under 5 years old for free!