Correcting my pricing mistake AFTER I receive my first reservation request!

Answered!

Correcting my pricing mistake AFTER I receive my first reservation request!

I just opened an account as a host last night. Finding my way around creating the listing was a learning experience. When setting my price per night, I just went with what the site suggested based on my property type, ($98.00 per night) however the first week in May is VERY different in the Louisville, KY area (think Kentucky DERBY!) I planned to charge more per night and have a 3 night minimum during that time, but didnt want to list that higher amount as my "regular" price per night. I could not find out how to change the price for a certain period but did not realize that my listing was now posted on the site (because it would not allow me to save changes at that time - It was getting late so i decided to do some further study the next day)

I was very pleased and at the same time FREAKED OUT when I got my first reservation request before I even got out of bed this morning. Here are my concerns/questions:

1. The text alert I got from Airbnb says "Congratulations! Sherry is booked with you on May 5-6 for 1 night." It doesnt say "Sherry requests a reservation... it says she is booked. I have not accepted or declined. Is it normal for them to say a guest is booked before a host accepts?

2. I'm pretty sure I can send her a message through my account explaining my ignorance (can you tell I am a super newbie?) but what do I say?  "Sorry, I neglected to figure out how to revise my rate during Derby week and didnt realize my listing was already up. Instead of $98.00 for Derby night, it is $350.00 per night, with a 3 night minimum"??   

3. Can a potential guest leave a review without actually confirming the reservation, booking the property, or paying? I would HATE to get a bad review right outta the gate, but I would also hate to accept $98.00 for 1 night during the absolute most lucrative time of year for hosts in my area.

4. If I decline the reservation, does it give a place to explain why, or am I better off replying to her message directly (and then officially declining)

5. Lastly...once I have the issue of how best to explain and decline, I know I will need to edit my listing to reflect my "peak" price. Since I would like a minimum of 3 day stay, and for most Derby goers Thursday, Friday and Saturday is the perfect amount of time, should I block out the first part of the week leaving only those days open and adding that Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday can also be negotiated if booking Thurs., Fri. & Sat.?

I have never posted to a community forum of any kind so I apologize if there is some protocol I didn't follow.

Thank you to any and everyone who is kind enough to sort through my web of questions and help a new host out. I promise to pay it forward once I know what I am doing.

1 Best Answer
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Paula506 I would snooze your listing until you get everything figured out with it to prevent any further mishaps. This forum is a good place to find answers to your questions.

First, you have instant book on: that's why someone was able to book with you instantly. If you would prefer to approve every booking, you can turn it off. Everything you need to know about it can be found here:

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/523/what-is-instant-book

It is too late to up the pricing for this date. You posted a rate, and someone took you up on it. You can cancel an instant booking if you're uncomfortable with it, and I would consider doing that. Make sure you call Airbnb to do it, though: don't do it yourself. If you cancel yourself, the date will be permanently blocked. Again, maybe snooze the listing until you get this sorted out: it's not nice to cancel on people, nor can you change your pricing after the fact: how would you feel if you went to buy a can of soup in the grocery store, and the cashier told you that actually, it's not $2.50 a can, it's $10, and you have to buy 3 of them or you're not allowed to buy them at all?

The only way that a guest that hasn't stayed with you can leave a review is if it's cancelled less than 24 hours before check in. However, if you cancel on a guest yourself, an auto-review that you cancelled a reservation will be generated.

Regarding changing pricing on certain dates, just go to your calendar and click on the dates you'd like to edit. Easy peasy. Follow these steps to set minimum stays. You can specify a certain minimum stay over the Kentucky Derby weekend only.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/880/how-do-i-set-the-minimum-and-maximum-number-of-nights-a-guest...

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Paula506 I would snooze your listing until you get everything figured out with it to prevent any further mishaps. This forum is a good place to find answers to your questions.

First, you have instant book on: that's why someone was able to book with you instantly. If you would prefer to approve every booking, you can turn it off. Everything you need to know about it can be found here:

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/523/what-is-instant-book

It is too late to up the pricing for this date. You posted a rate, and someone took you up on it. You can cancel an instant booking if you're uncomfortable with it, and I would consider doing that. Make sure you call Airbnb to do it, though: don't do it yourself. If you cancel yourself, the date will be permanently blocked. Again, maybe snooze the listing until you get this sorted out: it's not nice to cancel on people, nor can you change your pricing after the fact: how would you feel if you went to buy a can of soup in the grocery store, and the cashier told you that actually, it's not $2.50 a can, it's $10, and you have to buy 3 of them or you're not allowed to buy them at all?

The only way that a guest that hasn't stayed with you can leave a review is if it's cancelled less than 24 hours before check in. However, if you cancel on a guest yourself, an auto-review that you cancelled a reservation will be generated.

Regarding changing pricing on certain dates, just go to your calendar and click on the dates you'd like to edit. Easy peasy. Follow these steps to set minimum stays. You can specify a certain minimum stay over the Kentucky Derby weekend only.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/880/how-do-i-set-the-minimum-and-maximum-number-of-nights-a-guest...

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Paula506 Hi Paula, Alexandria's advice is very sound.

I have been hosting on Airbnb for over 3 years and am very familiar with the system. Recently I added another listing to my account and I was horrified at how little information was required, and how little guidance was given when doing so to avoid some of the issues that you have had.

I am not surprised new hosts fall into the same traps every time (instant book, incorrect pricing are two that come to mind). It would not take much for Airbnb to change the creation process to cover these items and ensure that new hosts were not left with such issues. I guess they prefer to get hosts on board with features that they want you to have (instant booking and smart (which is definitely is not) pricing.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

And remember @Paula506, knowledge is king with Airbnb, so best get it ~before~ making too many chancy moves. @Alexandra316's advice is spot on.

Louise231
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

Hi @Paula506 yeah you are a bit stung with this, airbnb won't let you cancel because the price was too low,

You may be able to get them to cancel it if there was an issue with the tech side, ie you weren't notified the listing was live, but thats a big if

I noticed your profile has only been verified by phone? You other option (and it's really not a recommended option). Is to delete your profile and start again with a different phone/email. (Maybe you made a mistake and it's a different room in your house you are hosting...) You'd loose all your reviews, but you don't have any, and you may have to sort different payment options. Use a different picture of you., retake the new bedroom photo's, obviously your kitchen and exterier are still the same so no worries there.

But if the mistake financialy makes that much difference to you, then it's a last resort.

Hi

Please help

The Guest declined as per below – For a DEC booking

This reservation was made within 24 hours of listing my property – I have never hosted before on Airbnb OR ANY sites.

I quickly sent an apology and a price change to the guest – he declined.

The rules say hosts can change pricing (and smart pricing) at any time

I don’t want to be penalised – especially not to loose the opportunity to become Super Host for an ENTIRE year ????

Thank you Please respond asap (as the rules also say I need to cancel the booking ASAP OR again be penalised)

AIRBNB sent me an email with this 

Unfortunately, Kenneth didn’t accept your request

@Sherwood1WOW what a place..........it is fabulous and I surely hope you have a big hefty security deposit. Like 300 or $500.  I can't believe what you are charging. How is it $93 for 8 people ??? And you serve breakfast to 8 people? Wow - what many Hosts do with such a place is for guest number 1 it's your base price and for each additional guest $10 per person per night that makes it alot more inline and fair to YOU.  You don't need to give it away as dirt cheap - you might not have respectful guests. I could be wrong but the word I have often seen and truly heard as fact from a neighbor is too cheap and you get the "towel thieves". All those fabulous pillows, those masks, all the upscale, super exquisite designed everything...........that cost - It would be such a shame for a group looking for a cheap party place to mess it up with one visit and it can quickly happen -----I understand Airbnb suggest often to charge less and reduce prices BUT when hosts keep lowering prices they get in price wars and that's weird. We don't need to do that - we don't need to low ball all the others. We are all charging less than cheap hotels most of the time. 

I personally would  let my place sit empty before giving it away or inviting a party to trash it. I am sorry if this reads less than gentle and sweet - but, I want your hosting to be AWESOME and most guest will be just that.  However, in your listing you even suggest a dinner party with family and friends!!! Although you say no parties .....also, word on CC community center is most Guests do not read all about the listing and the rules! They look at pics, price and Boom love it....book it....or request to book it. I personally do NOT do IB instant booking. I want to know who is coming and I begin a dialogue before they even book. I have had great success exp. one young couple that I liked and trusted. You just can't always know or get some folks right. I wish you both the best with your unbelieveable place. I wanna come stay there!!! Happy Hosting, Clara

Sabrina301
Level 4
Montreal, Canada

@Sherwood1 the rules says you can change your pricing at any time BEFORE a guest has booked. You are responsible for setting your prices and honouring them. Clearly in your situation the guest isn’t willing to accept the change so you have no other choice but to honour or risk severe penalties (blocked calendar, fees, loss of ranking etc). As mentioned above snooze your listing and remove instant booking until you have it all sorted out.

Hi @Paula506 Please call Airbnb. You are entitled to three cancellation each year if you have Instant Booking on (even if you didn't mean to!) Explain the circumstances and ask them to cancel the booking for you without penalty. Don't forget to apologise to the person who booked - it's not their fault, but there's also no reason for you to subsidise their holiday. 

Sabrina301
Level 4
Montreal, Canada

@Susan7 I was trying to give @Paula506 accurate information and realistic expectations regarding her situation.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/1835/what-are-the-terms-of-the-may-instant-book-trial-with-penalt...

Calendar inaccuracy is not a reason they will allow you to cancel an instant book penalrty free. Unfortunately in her case she is going to have to make a hard decision.

I forgot to take her along with Sherwood on my initial post.

Hi @Sabrina301 so was I, from recent first hand experience. This week, I received an instant booking for Christmas, our super peak period, at our lowest off peak price. It was completely my mistake, and I hadn't updated my pricing before the 9 month booking window opened. I called Airbnb, explained the situation, and was allowed one of my three no-penalty instant booking cancellations. Apologised to the potential guest, who had realised that the deal was way too good to be true, and moved on. I asked and was granted that. The worst that can happen to @Paula393 is that they will say no. The best would be a much nicer start to her Airbnb journey.

Sabrina301
Level 4
Montreal, Canada

@Susan7 I’m glad it worked out for you so well and hopefully @Paula506 and @Sherwood1 have the same experience you do. I would believe however, that this would be more of an exception to the rule situation or else why state it so explicitely in the terms and policy for instant booking that calendar inaccuracy is not a reason they accept for cancellation. You are right though, it never hurts to ask!

Thanks @Sabrina301 it was a nice outcome. I think the point is thst the circumstances listed generate an entitlement to the cancellation, whereas other cancellation circumstances are at the discretion of the Airbnb CS person. And you are so right! Asking nicely can never hurt:-)