Did any other hosts receive an incorrect Form 1099?

Dennis264
Level 6
Juneau, AK

Did any other hosts receive an incorrect Form 1099?

This only applies to US hosts.

I got my Form 1099-MISC in the mail on Saturday, and when I checked it, the amount of earnings on the form was about 9.45% of my actual earnings listed on Air's online Earnings Summary report.

I called CS and the very nice woman in the offshore call center admitted she was located outside the US and had no idea what I was talking about but would have someone from San Francisco "reach out to me", which to me means that maybe someone will call in a few weeks if they feel like it.

I'm figuring that if my 1099 (which reports my earnings to the IRS) is wrong, there are probably other hosts who also got incorrect 1099s.

If you did, please post here.  Maybe, maybe someone for Air will notice it, but I don't have a lot of hope.

So was your host 1099-MISC correct or not?

22 Replies 22

I am having the same frustrating experience.

Tony1200
Level 2
Silver Spring, MD

I received a 1099k even though my stays were only 20!! Since the irs now as of March 2021 already has that info—even though Airbnb made the mistake— I guess they’ve just screwed me? They will not respond to repeated requests to the legal dept

Tony1200
Level 2
Silver Spring, MD

I received a 1099k when my stays were only 20. The earning be right,  it sure but s there recluse for Airbnb sending out my personal info to an organization/IRS/whoever in error?

Stella114
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Mine is incorrect too.  I called and my case was not even forwarded on to the department who handles this. They said I should get an email, but so far nothing.  

Michelle104
Level 2
Thousand Oaks, CA

I run 2 Airbnbs - one in California and one in the UK. My partner owns the house in California and pays the taxes on it. He is the one listed on that house to receive the 1099 for that house only.

I am listed as responsible for taxes on the UK Airbnb.

Well, they sent a 1099 to my partner for the total of both houses and we've been trying for a month to have them correct it. I've called multiple times and nothing. Occasionally we'll get an email saying they are working on it, or sending their policy. The people responsible are not reachable and NOTHING gets done. It is extremely annoying, frustrating, a waste of my time and who knows how it will affect my partners taxes?? If he ends up getting flagged for it by the IRS he will be livid.

@Michelle104 
I'm dealing with the exact same situation. 3 Airbnbs in Costa Rica, one gets paid to a bank account in the states (The only one who should receive the 1099) and the other 2 to a bank account in CR.

The 1099 included all of them!
This has been very frustrating! Since they have not given us any kind of solutions... and honestly I feel the emails are ignored and CS support line completely useless.

Have you had any luck? or do you know if there is a way to correct the 1099 on the recipient end?

100% Mine was over 5 times higher than my earnings. Unfortunately I am up against a deadline, seeing my tax preparer in a couple of hours. Was filing late just downloading the last docs that have never been a problem. I know I should have checked this sooner, but here we are. I need to at least know if this has indeed already been reported, cause I better not file info they will think is incorrect and certainly do not want to pay higher taxes than I need to. I just tweeted this to:

AirbnbHelp  "I just discovered in horror the 1099-k Airbnb issued to the IRS is reporting about 5 times the earnings I actually made!!! This is very urgent. Seeing my tax guy shortly. I just called cust. service, waiting to hear back. Apparently same thing happened to others."

I was issued a 1099K under my name when it should have been issued under the homeowners name-who received ALL payouts.  AirBnB refuses to correct it or put me in touch with anyone who knows anything about US taxes.  20 plus closed cases immediately after i ask them not to close it.  over and over again.