Does Airbnb send undercover quality control?

Maria11831
Level 2
Sofia, Bulgaria

Does Airbnb send undercover quality control?

I think that Airbnb send these quality control people  at least once a year -they are really similar  and you could tell that there is something off and that  they will downgrade and undermine your rating but it is too late once he is in  your property. The platform actually exploits your efforts and hard work by undermining your rating thorough such undercover guests because then you have to compensate these negative scores with much more bookings and positive reviews - you drop prices, you add extras but nothing is enough. There is no conspiracy here- pure capitalism. I am furious because this happened to me last year but now my last guest made even more damage to my rating without any explanation or complain. I was always available and was waiting for him an hour before the official check -in -then he gives me 3* check-in rating; he used a 30% off promotion in a 160sq. m downtown apartment and put 4* on value and location. He gives me 4* communication, when I was always available.This has never happened to me before (except of a similar but not so brutal case last year) and I am sure that this guy was a profecional saboteur. I recognized the trouble once I layed eyes on him. I wrote to the airbnb support but surprise, surprise - nothing happened. I am truly disgusted. 

48 Replies 48
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Maria11831 I must congratulate you on offering a most entertaining theory that has been interesting. And who the heck knows, maybe we are all the 'ship of fools'; hey,  it is 2020 when anything is possible and its not done with us yet. Good fun post.

I agree that Airbnb needs to get out there and book undercover and stay in these properties.  I recently booked 5 Airbnb's on a trip and only one was good.  The others were filthy with holes in the walls, broken furniture and more.  These were $300.00 a night properties.  Airbnb is getting a name for bad properties and bad guests.  Quality control is not there and they have a huge image problem.  Time for all of us hosts to go else where until they get the message.  We want travelers to think highly of Airbnb.  After my last experience, I will never book another Airbnb.  It ruined my vacation!

Ilka127
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Hi Maria, I turned down such people twice as I felt there is something wrong with the way they were inquiring, the overtly positive reviews THEY had ( it almost sounded like the guests were pressured to write these) and the high fluctuation of their stays and locations. Thank god I am suspicious enough to study each every inquiry because I do NOT want an Airbnb spy in my house because I am afraid of exactly what happened to you. So sorry to hear that. I m a superhost as well and instead of sending these people to the bad listings with low ratings that really need supervision, these people seem to actually want a great stay and STILL tear you down. Hope have meanwhile recovered from this experience. 

Erin7640
Level 1
Lafayette, CO

I understand your frustration but secret shoppers are important to any business even if that business happens to be renting out a place you own.

Your guests can pay up to several hundreds of dollars worth of fees for the Airbnb service so why would they not want to make sure your reviews aren’t skewed, your service and property are what they say they are, and the service you are providing is worth what people are paying? 

If all of those things are truly what you say they are then respond in kindness, address the issues, and don’t publicly complain about a guest. 

Those who have done nothing wrong do not rant or publicly shame someone, they also do not over explain things. 

If you want to be praised in public, then punish in private. Always try to remember these people are making you money they are your guests, some will say nice things someone will not - even if they are not shoppers, deal with it.