EU court rules Airbnb must provide rental info to tax authorities

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

Short-term accommodation services company Airbnb must provide information in rental contracts to tax authorities and withold tax under a national regime, the European Union's top court ruled on Thursday. 

Read the full article here https://reut.rs/3X3AScD 

5 Replies 5
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

This does raise many questions for example: is the tax paid for a stay is to be treated as a point-of-sale tax or something else; 21% comes across quite hefty. Also, considering the numerous countries under the EU and the thousand local municipalities, what % number should be imposed. Interesting article @Sudsrung0.

I pay 22% income tax on my rental income in Norway @Fred13 . That's the national tax level here (higher income have above 50% tax). And our income tax is lower than in many European countries. Airbnb have reported my income to the Norwegian tax authorities for years already (although incorrectly of course). Only difference is that I pay my rental tax when the tax forms are due. 

Very enlightening; fun knowing how other places run, it is either encouraging or depressing depending how your home country fares in comparison. 😉

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Fred13 @Sudsrung0 

Likewise here. Airbnb has been reporting revenues to the tax authorities for years now. We pay 19% tax on the income, although all operating expenses are deductible - and there are many.

We do pay 21% VAT on Airbnb's commissions, which it withholds from the gross rental revenue - we never see it or have to declare it or pay separately. 

It's nothing new for us. Might be new in other EU states, I wouldn't know. 

This arrangement appears to also come into play in many central american countries, a few years back all of a sudden the tax authorities had a lot of information on anyone with Airbnb.