Feature to show what amenities aren't included in a listing

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Feature to show what amenities aren't included in a listing

Is there an amenity that guest didn't realize was included in your listing? 

Would  it be a good idea to have some amenities guest overlooked to have a strikethrough through them so they would know its not included?

̶S̶t̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶

For me its the stove. Despite plastering it all over my listing there is no stove some guest still don't notice it. One recent guest who was new to AirBnB claimed frustration as it was simply not listed. So they had already contacted customer support. I reminded them I included the info in as many places as I could in the listing: in the description; in the caption of the picture of the kitchen, without being rude, as I don't think its the guest fault. And he had a good point. If something simply isn't there in the amenities they probably won't realize its missing. 

Host can see the list of what they have included and what they have marked and unmarked. Maybe a separate list of things host can check that aren't included? For example a listing might not have private parking space.

̶O̶f̶f̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶e̶e̶t̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶k̶i̶n̶g̶

The Kitchen option check mark could also have a drop down to be more specific of what's included and not. Like Wifi has an option to include how fast it is. 

Mircrowave 
Coffee Maker
Toaster oven
Fridge
̶o̶v̶e̶n̶
̶c̶o̶o̶k̶t̶o̶p̶

That's what 95% of my guest use anyway. 

Another might be cable TV. If its simply not there guest might not realize it. I have it but other host have mentioned they are getting marked down because they are experiencing different guest post pandemic, with different expectations, because hotels are all booked.  

̶c̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶v̶

Any other things your guest might have missed? During our "Host Talk" zoom meeting this morning @Stephanie also suggested some kind of pup our or reminder for guest just before confirming the reservation to include important things like if the listing had flights of stairs or something very important. That reminded me of including what's not included in the amenities as that came several weeks ago. This wasn't the most important issue mentioned during the discussion and a bit off topic of reviews but others thought it would make a good topic. 

@Emilia42 

16 Replies 16
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@John5097  I've not had guests show up expecting something that wasn't advertised, myself, but I do think the strike through is a really good idea.

@Sarah977 I'm glad you like it! So far I've managed to fill in all the little gaps of info so just popped into my head! I'll include it somewhere. Maybe put this and house rules first thing in my listing description. 🤣🤣

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

This is very practical @John5097 and makes perfect sense. So, naturally we won't see it implemented. 

I don't mind being proven wrong. One can still hope....

@Colleen253 I'm not expecting to see it anytime soon. The downside for ABB would be guest are about to push confirm reservation and suddenly decide not to. Maybe could also get confusing. I'm glad you like it though! 😌 👍

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@John5097 

Some amenities are already shown as "strike-through" when not available (like fire-alarm, CO-detector)

But if guest do not read your current information, they probably will ignore the "strike-through" information also. Maybe such guest should be "striked through" themself ;>)

@Emiel1 I do tend to think the issue lies with guests who just don't read anything. I like your strikethrough idea too.

@Coleen253

As a retired English teacher, I guarantee you hardly anybody reads anything. Nothing you write will make any difference because they won’t read it anyway.  I solved the problem by going over the house rules with them at check in, just quickly explaining why they must “keep the gate closed” for example, “so dogs don’t get my chickens”. They don’t seem to mind, and they rarely break those vital rules.

@Emiel1 yes those would be safety features. I'm always surprised to see listings with no smoke alarm or CO-detector. 

I know @Sarah977 has an all masonry house with tile floors, but most others I notice are just wood and all flammable.  

I think there are a few amenities that get overlooked and would help clear it up. I may just include the strike though myself. I'm finding that I get great reviews letting guest know what's not included as opposed to what is. For example, there is Central AC but they don't have a thermostat.  Its really the best option and I keep the rates lower because its so efficient and comfortable. 

So I'd also add to AC amenity. 

̶t̶h̶e̶r̶m̶o̶s̶t̶a̶t̶

😁

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

For me it’s coffee, I’d like to know if there’s a starter supply.  It may seem odd, but as someone whose given up diet soda, that one cup of coffee in the morning is so appreciated.  I don’t care if it’s not provided, I’d just like to know ahead of time, so I scroll thru the photos and figure out which type of coffee to bring according to the photo.  

@Michelle1851 That's a good point. I provide coffee, chi and green tea. Surprised most guest don't have coffee and about one a year has tea. Still, I keep it all in a cabinet and keep meaning to make it more clear in the listing. I have gotten a question from a guest if coffee is provided or not. That would be good option to include in the kitchen amenities or what food might be provided. (I think I do show both coffee and tea in a picture in the cabinet, but guest simply may not scroll though more than 10.)  

Coffee 

Tea
Almond Milk
B̶r̶e̶a̶k̶f̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶

@endtag (general comment, blabbering now)  😁

BTW I have some experience creating content for social media and video production. On Facebook for example if you are an admin you can see exactly how many people view or click on an article or link. For 10,000 people you would be lucky if 10 clicked on a link, and even one bothered to watch a video for 45 seconds. 

As a host I think its important to keep the listing concise and focus on your most important concerns. That's why I think this is a good approach to make the information more concise and easier for guest to process at a glance. 

This is the approach I've taken from the get go and have never received below a 5 star review.  YMMV 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@John5097 

I agree that this is really important. Airbnb has added to the amenities list over the last year (a lot) but at the same time, when you are looking at a listing you don't know what amenities are not available. You have to scour multiple places within the listing in hopes that the host made a note (description, other things to note, house rules, amenities limitations, etc.) I don't think many hosts realize they should be doing this until an actual problem or complaining guest occurs. And we all know guests are not reading all the details since most are hidden behind "show more" links (amenities limitations hidden under see more about Health and Safety? what is that??)

This last winter I had 10 or so people contact me for a long-term stay and ask for the wifi speed. I responded with the information but also said "FYI since you are considering a longer stay please note that there is no washer/dryer in this space but many laundromats within a 5-10 minute drive." All but one came back with something along the lines of "Oh, no washer/dryer? Thanks for letting us know. That is not going to work for us." Well, good thing that was caught before a long-term reservation was confirmed. So obviously there is a disconnect somewhere. Guests are not seeing or even realizing the importance of the lacking amenity unless it is spelled out for them in the message thread. 

@Emilia42 That is a really good point. I've implemented all of the amenities improvements over the past year and would also like to see continued trend of progress here. Its the little things like this that can make a difference between 3 guest leaving a 5 star review instead of a 4 star per year. The extra info about wifi speed was a plus. Some guest also inquire about ethernet if their job requires it. This is from last week. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 4.36.43 PM.png

Another example of for wifi category could also include a strikeout . 

wifi
̶e̶t̶h̶e̶r̶n̶e̶t̶ ̶

Thats also a great point about a washer dryer for long term renters. 

Maybe a check box beside some amenities that the host could check to become a strikeout so each host would have that option of which ones to include in the list as a strikeout. 

I really enjoy reading your post that are always phrased so well. Thanks for chiming in! 

On a side note the black hand towels you suggested with "makeup" printed on them are a hit. Not only did it solve problem of guest using white towels to remove makieup but they like it. Its little things like this that can help improve guest stays and reviews. Each guest appreciates different little touches.  

@Emilia42 

Also thanks for the info about how the amenities is now buried in with safety. That seems strange. It must be a challenge to organize the booking process but now that you mention it they could  have an "important info" box with house rules and amenities at a prominent place and easy for guest to access. i haven't looked at the layout in a while. 

@Emilia42 

I noticed they are now using more stikeouts with amenities. 

Mine only has shampoo at first and now security camera. I even requested oven be included with the feedback option so hopefully that one will be added. 

I checked yours now has washer inculuded. Or I should say not included. lol

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 10.59.18 AM.png