Home Hosting Insurance for Australian Hosts

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Home Hosting Insurance for Australian Hosts

On a daily basis we are seeing posts from hosts seeking information about insuring their properties while hosting, so I felt it is about time to lay out the landscape where hosting insurance is at in this country, (Australia).

Here is Australia we are fortunate to have a number of good insurance options available and, I would urge every host to take note of these options and use one or the other. This being a possibly less litigious society than the US, companies are more inclined to insure the hosting risk here! Also the volume of hosting in this country has risen to the point where companies are now seeing hosting insurance as a valuable addition to their risk portfolio.

Firstly there has been a lot of talk, and possibly misplaced trust, in Airbnb's Host Protection Scheme (HPS)! This product is more loaded to protection from catastrophic damage, has extreme limitations on it, and in general should not be relied upon for protection a host is likely to require in their hosting experience. Even Airbnb state you should avail yourself of other cover options before trying to use this product. Typical of the sort of claims that Airbnb have declined to adequately address are....... a host's kitchen benchtop which was ruined when a guest put a saucepan from the stove directly onto the bench. The entire kitchen benchtop had to be replaced with a cost of many thousands of dollars.....at the hosts expence.

Another hosts outdoor furniture setting was ruined by a guests careless cigarette burn to one of the cushions. Once again, they were on their own. These are the events that you need insurance protection for and will find satisfactory compensation from the HPS virtually impossible.

To insurance options:

If you have a household general insurance policy there is every possibility the company will cancel your policy if they find out you are in a short term rental agreement with a hosting platform. I have had this advice direct from 4 major insurance companies, so, I would consider this stance to be the norm!

https://www.terrischeer.com.au

Terri Scheer are specalists in Landlord/Tennant insurance but do not get involved with short term rental agreements with a hosting platform or a shared property situation. Great if you are a landlord who has a rental property on the open rental market but will not entertain Airbnb.

https://sharecover.com

If you are listing a shared property (that is, on the same residential allotment) or a self contaned property and you are hosting a few guests per month there is a company called Sharecover! Above is a link to this company. This is the insurer I use, and is a part of the largest insurance group in Australia. Sharecover insures specifically for the Airbnb and the Stayz platforms. You only pay for cover for the nights that guests are on your property, and the cost of cover is from $3.50au per night. It does not take the place of general insurance....it's an addition to it.

You apply online in seconds and are issued a PDF of the policy document on the spot. You can literally insure as the guest walk to the door of your listing!

https://www.aami.com.au

AAMI have just recently (In February) introduce an insurance package that works with the Airbnb operation and is additional to their general insurance policy. This is also a good option because it keeps all general insurance under the one umberella! As this insurance cover is new, I have not been able to find any details of it as yet but will post as an update when I can secure!

http://www.ltmrisk.com.au/

There is also another company who provide similar cover to the hosting community for an annual modest premium which is more for hosts with a full booking calendar. I believe this company is called LTM Risk Partners and is based in Western Australia and appears to be most active in Melbourne and Sydney.

All these companies provide either $10m or $20m public liability insurance but be aware that there are some traps where liability insurance is concerned!

Liability insurance will only cover guests and hosts on the insured property, and does not cover guests from their own negligence. If you allow guests to use bicycles that you may provide for them to cycle the local area there is no automatic liability cover beyond the perimeter of the insured property! If they injure themselves diving from the top of the wardrobe cupboard onto the bed....they will, once again,  not be covered!

I suggest to all hosts to check out all of these companies individually and compare what each has to offer and make a decision based on what comes from 'the horses mouth', rather than depending on what I have stated here. I have selected a company and coverage that suits my needs but those will vary from host to host. 

But, forget about the Airbnb's host protection scheme.....it is nothing more than a marketing tool and in reality provides no coverage for protection the average host would ever be likely to need!....cheers......Rob

100 Replies 100
Annabelle28
Level 2
East Albury, Australia

By the way thank you Robin for starting this conversation. It is appreciated.

I've just read a few other forums and I found 'chevon's' comments in the following link http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2442060

confirm what I've said above that she also has had to go through NRMA because your normal home insurance becomes void once they know that you're engaging in Airbnb business.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Annabelle28.....It pays to be pro-active and approach your company for a ruling before you take out cover.  As @Louise has said anyone will take your money and issue a policy but when it comes to a claim they will reject it if you do not have local government/Strata/community management/condo managers permission on the grounds that you are perfoming an illegal activity.

Sharecover are gaining a lot of acceptance with main stream insurers here in Australia. I guess we are all waiting for that 'substantial' claim to assess if our money is being allocated wisely!

I would not place too much importance on what 'Chevson' has said on Whirlpool because his posts are more than 2 years old and a lot of water has flowed under the insurance bridge since then.

I have a sense of comfort in that what I have done will protect me but, I haven't had a claim so at this stage whatever I say is just a lot of hot air....let's see what happens when 'push comes to shove'!!

This is an independant 'Choice' link but still gives little in the way of detail.....

https://www.choice.com.au/money/insurance/home-and-contents/articles/airbnb-insurance-warning-131115

My feeling is, of course protect yourselves but try to limit the possiblity of a claim by being selective in the guests you invite onto your property.

Stay away from Students, Locals and 'Hagglers'. This will reduce your risk by at least 85%.

Have a great Christmas all, tomorrow is the 19th and my day to have my say in the daily contributions for December!

Cheers.....Rob

Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

2018 update.  Last year I had my own home and contents insurance and used Sharecover for short term rental cover.  As I constantly have groups, I was not interested in having to enter details for each group so I took out a 12 month cover for up to 10 guests at one time (I live downstairs and rent the upper story which is large). Both policies were a similar price $1700.  I spent so much time last year and am doing it again this year to see what is around for renewal and I really would like a single policy instead of having to take out 2 policies.

AAMI - they are still thinking about it - nothing yet

EBM/Rentcover - will only cover if host does not live on premises

BJM/SGUA - will do a joint policy but still waiting to hear if they do loss of rent for confirmed bookings in case of event like Sharecover - they didnt last year when I checked.

IAG Sharecover - what cost $1729 last year is now being quoted at $3051.

We have been using BJS Insurance based in Victoria.  Our policy has just come up for renewal and it is now $1,269. Just $50 more than last year.  We approached sooooo many insurance companies last year, but BJS was the better of the small amount of companies prepared to insure.  Our house in on the central coast and we also use it as our holiday home & have done so the past 17 years, but decided to take the plunge & list on Airbnb 16 months ago.  So far no claims, but only our 2nd guests was a major disaster and she refused to reimburse for the damage, but fortunately Airbnb Host insurance reimbused.  This did take 6 attempts to obtain reimbursement via Airbnb!

Also just a note that if you ever put a request for money for damage and you see a note on your account stating that the guest accepted your request & sent you $..... Make sure you check your account to ensure that money did go in as the money did not go into our account in November & it was only picked up when we were doing a tax the following year!!

ther toHi Bernadette, I have been trying to decide whether to get a seperate insurance policy, on top of the cover Airbnb provides. Do you think it is necessary, or worth it?

Regards

Harry

@Harry6

AirBnB provide limited Liability Insurance so you definitely need to consider you overall risk and your Insurance requirements.

David

Thank you Wendy! very useful information, what insurance company did you end up using? was it only landlord insurance? or contents insurance only?

Sonia153
Level 2
Geelong, Australia

Oh nooooooo!  citibank our home and contents insurance co in victoria, have just told me that ANY CLAIM WE MAKE will be declined as while we have airbnb guests, our home and contents insurance is not valid.  That is, if for example, someone broke into our home (not the airbnb downstairs) or if bushfire swept through (while we had airbnb guests or not), we'd lose the whole darn lot, as they would not honour the claim!!!  What on earn are we to do?

Hey Sonia, can I ask what you ended up doing about home & contents insurance? 

Lyn69
Level 1
Bathurst, Australia

Insurance, Insurance, insurance.

For the last few years we have been using Budget Direct- Home and Contents insurance. have spoken to Budget Direct and it is noted on our policy that we have people staying through Airbnb and also Stayz (now Homeaway). These tenants are covered by Budget Direct as long as we are resident on the property with them.

Looking now at having total home leased for short stay via AirBnb and Stayz without us on the property, so am looking at new base insurer and possible ShareCover for those nights occupied.

From what i read, NRMA is the only insurer that can work with Sharecover?

Lyn

as an Owner Occupier host : how did you correspond with Budget Direct to inform them that you are hosting? and what assurance did they give you that your policy is still valid when you started hosting in your home?
Did they send you an email that confirms that they would not void your Home and Contents insurance even as you host? 

What were the details of the cover with regards to the fineprint - which excludes cover when you have invited someone into your house that may do damage or accidental damage to your home?

I'm finding it difficult to find Insurers who will cover Home and Contents and hosting under the one umbrella

i just bought the westpac landlord insurance and it is cover if we are doing ABB, expect for the lost of rent. it's about $69 per month. 

How did you go with getting your own building and insurance when Airbnb people are staying.   I have just called Budget  Direct and having short term Airbnb in our home renders our own personal insurance null and void. 

Jeremy129
Level 6
New South Wales, Australia

Here are some bulltetpoints from what I have found out after a day morning on the phone to multiple insurers. I rang Airbnb and the guy I got didn't even know what public liability was... saying "that sounds like a rather deep question". 

- GIO home insurance allows upto 40% of your place and not more than 2 bedrooms to be rented on short term and it' won't void your Home and Contents.... however !  It does not actually add any cover for your guests i.e. you are not covered for any damage by your guests or their Public Liability. It just doesn't void your own home insurnace for you and your own family in the typical home and contents set up. 

- My comminsure insurance policy is actually void since we have an airbnb... I cancelled it as it was essentially worthless and I was paying for something that I could not use. My mistake for not updating the policy when we started the airbnb recently.

- You can instead look to get Strata Insurance which depending on your insurer may allow short term rentals. Gio again allows up 40% within a strata. You can get "strata" insurance on a block as long as the granny flat, townhouse or dwelling type that you  are airbnb'ing is seperately metered for electricity. What type of meter is a little unclear. Sub-meters are still meters as far as I could deduce from my 1.5hr long conversation. We have an airbnb and could get strata insurance as an option for our home and airbnb granny falt.. actually cheaper, BUT, has no contents cover. So allow more $'s for that as a seperate cost.

- Terry Scheer insurance offer options where you can take out multiple policies that would cover you by mixing  pollicies... a home and builing insurance policy with a seperate Landlord Insurance policy that states short term letting on it.  Worth a call to get a quote. My situation is a bit unique so I can't say how it works for others.

- My thought it to get GIO home and contents and then a seperate policy to cover the guest for Public Liability and Contents. 

- be aware  that many of these short term letting insurance policies may still leave your own home insurance policy void and also leave your building uncovered. 

Jeremy129
Level 6
New South Wales, Australia

I wanted to add to the above - Strata insurance covers the building and public liability only in common areas and not inside the airbnb (or long term lease)