Houseboat vacation rentals

Jacqui330
Level 2
Merritt Island, FL

Houseboat vacation rentals

I would love to communicate with other houseboat hosts.  Only been operating mine and part time since last Feb.  and located in Florida. Wondering other than  airbnb, VRBO, booking.com what other types of marketing other houseboat host are using for this niche type of rental?  On all other platforms, visitors have to look specifically for houseboats whihc take a lot of scrolling, so afraid, we're not being see as often as the homes/condos are.  Liability and comprehensive Insurance for houseboat rentals is another source I'd like to explore, as mine is extremely expensive.  I am aware that airbnb offers $1,000,000 coverage, but I also have my own web site, so have to carry $1,000,000 separately. Hope to hear from others as we may have different needs that homes/condos don't.

Jacqui

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Do a Google search for houseboats for rent in your area and you can see where your competitors are advertising. @Jacqui330 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Jacqui330, Welcome to our Community. A houseboat, how exciting! 😊

I am reaching out to fellow Hosts who have discussed houseboats in our Community previously to see if they can offer any advice. While they may not be from your exact location, their insights could be helpful: @Jason1453 @Caroline2226 @Komodo-Marina0 

I hope this helps,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Johanela0
Level 2
Aventura, FL

Hi @Jacqui330 ! 
im located in Florida and I also have a houseboat with the intention of renting it here! 

I would love to get in contact if possible! 

No problem @Johanela0  , please PM me and I'll be happy to share data.  It would be great to have a discussion with any other houseboat owners that rent as VR.  We could all probably learn from each other.

RE:  Insurance.  2023 I paid $6,400 /an. for $100,000 LIability and Property and when I joined two rental platforms for short term rental,  the insurer required I raise liability to $1,000,000 and allowed me to rent short term with many caveats and increased premium to $9,400/an.   I haven't been successful in locating any other company that allows short term rental, so if any other houseboat owner with VR has a lower premium, PLEASE let us know; we would b eternally grateful.

Hi Jacqui! I was able to get quoted with Prime Insurance and their price is about the same as yours.  At the moment I am trying to work something out with XInsurance! they seems more reasonable.  

Keep me posted @Johanela0 . I just applied to NBOA and should hear back by tomorrow or Wed.  Will post their answer.   What age is your houseboat, as that seems to be a concern of other companies. Most of the ones I contacted that will insure houseboats want under 15 or 20 yrs. and mine is 1986,which is problematic.  Others that will insure houseboats, don't cover if they are for rental.  Double whammy.