Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

How do I escalate getting a racist review that a guest left removed?

Eugenia85
Level 2
New York, NY

How do I escalate getting a racist review that a guest left removed?

I am a Super Host who has been on AirBnB for over 13 years.

This is a strange situation to me, in that the guest left me a 5 star review.

However, in her review, she states that the neighborhood is unsafe. Not that she felt unsafe, but that the neighborhood itself is unsafe.

In her native language, she further states that my neighborhood is known as a semi-slum. My neighborhood is a predominantly African American/African Diaspora working class community. It is absolutely not a known as a semi-slum, and this comment is deeply offensive and racist against the people in my community.

I contacted AirBnB customer service about this issue, and was told that it was a "personal opinion" and so the review would stay. I appealed it. I was again told that it is a "personal opinion" and still ruled to be ok. I have repeatedly inquired about whether or not AirBnB would penalize me for the following:

1) Responding that the guest's review is racist as well as untrue.

2) Sending the guest a message letting her know that she is not welcome in my home again, because of her racist statement.

(note that I tell good guests that they're welcome to return any time. I have no idea if this guest would return, but I want to make it clear to her that she is absolutely not welcome in my home)

AirBnB CSRs have repeatedly ignored my questions, and simply reiterated that since the original issue was not deemed worthy of having the review removed twice, there is nothing else they can do.

Is there anything further that I can do about this?

I am absolutely furious and sick about it. I have occasionally had racist guests in the past and AirBnB has backed me up every time I reached out about them. That it's acceptable to call ANY neighborhood a semi-slum is absolutely appalling to me. Given the racial demographic and the degree to which the word "slum" is racially charged, it's absolutely disgusting.

2 Replies 2
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Eugenia85 

It sounds like you have taken to a couple people already.  You could just keep trying or let it go.  

I did take a look at your reviews and I do not see anyone refer to your neighbourhood as a "Semi-slum" or even "slum".

Was it this statement from a guest: "Do note the racial distribution and walking distance to public transport may not suit everyone."?

Or was it this one?

"Neighborhood is not suitable for going out in the evenings, it’s not bushwick or Williamsburg ( but the bus takes you there )"

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Experienced Co-Host

Hi, sorry to hear about your experience. At least you still got a 5 star rating.

To be honest, I don't believe it's worth my energy anymore to get emotional about what people say or not say as my guests. Sure its entertaining, but I'd like to direct my energy elsewhere. When you are in the hospitality business, and we are if you take money for hosting, then you gotta take all comments with a grain of salt these days.

As for customer service, don't expect too much, even as a Super host. They are just poorly paid outsourced agents trying to earn a living. Sure they are frustrating because they don't understand at times what you are saying, because simply, they've never been hosts and their command of English is generally lesser than yours if you are an english native speaker. And they'll never remove a review. Reviews are just opinions, whether they are factual or not is irrelevant. As long it adheres to content guidelines, airbnb are not there to review for factual accuracy. They probably decided it's not their responsibility. The anti-disciminatory policy only applies to hosts, not guests. 

You have every right to message privately that guest and indicate they aren't welcome back, but be careful about how you phrase it so that the guest doesn't report you for harrassment or otherwise, and use the Airbnb discriminatory policies (even if guest won't know) as an example to back up that their comments weren't in the spirit of the Airbnb community. You open up this line of communication though, you could open yourself up further to unintended consequences. IF it were me, I wouldn't say anything. Let it go.....

What I would do though is respond to the review publicly. But your response is not for the guest, it is for future guests! That's what hosts tend to forget. You can say 'Dear Future Guests, just to clarify, the neighbourhood is XYZ and is blah blah. We have hosted lots of wonderful guests who have given us fabulous 5 star ratings, and had no issues. We provide etc etc etc to make sure our guests have a 5 star experience! All the best, look forward to hosting you"
or something to that effect. Make sure the last sentence pivots towards what you do offer to get the reader off the negatives and leave a positive impression.

Hope this helps, All the best, I'm sure you are doing a wonderful job being a superhost!

MK