Laundry/ linen change out tips

Linda169
Level 1
Tonawanda, NY

Laundry/ linen change out tips

I’ve been a host for quite a few years and I am always looking for an easier, quicker way to do the linen/bedding changes between guests.  I offer king size beds in some rooms because that is what I prefer for comfort. Changing out all the king size linens is time-consuming. I need to find a simpler way to have all of that. replaced during one cleaning session. Although I have duplicates and triplicates of everything, I have a cleaning crew wash everything while they are doing the cleaning change out.   I am in a different state when our property is available for rent, so it’s not like I can do the laundry myself, or have dirty laundry sitting waiting for me. It needs to be completed during the change out.

Is it better to wrap the comforter in sheets, the way hotels do, and then just wash the cover sheets?  Duvets can be cumbersome and time-consuming to wash and dry.  I am in the process of purchasing a bigger washer, due to the fact that washing a king size duvet has pretty much ruined my washer.  
Does anybody have a recommendation on a king size duvet that is easy to wash and dry?

Also looking for a recommendation on a good washer for large loads.  

9 Replies 9
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Linda169 I am somewhat confused. A duvet doesn't need washing at every turnover just like the pillows don't. As long as the duvet has a cover that is washed you should be fine. Comforters between sheets do not necessarily stay between the sheets so is not hygienic.

I have a duvet “insert”, the the duvet IS the cover over the insert.  The duvet gets washed.  I did find an article on “triple sheeting”, which is what the hotels use.  Basically, it’s a fitted sheet, and 2 flat sheets.  The 2nd flat sheet goes on top of the insert.  Sounds much easier and less bulky to wash 3 king sheets, than a king duvet.

thank you for your input

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Linda169 It may well be that we have an issue with language. In France the entree is the starter and yet in America it has morphed into the main course. Has the same happened with duvets? Again in France (and I honestly thought everywhere) the duvet is the down/feather/whatever filled part that keeps you warm and the cover is what gets washed. The cover is effectively 2 King sheets sewn together so the washing is no different to your plan.

I think you may be correct.  It’s a language thing.  In the states, when you buy a “duvet set”, it consists of the douvet (cover) and 2 shames.  So…….i guess the puffy comforter that I’m calling the insert, is actually the douvet in other countries .  Thx for your input.  

@Linda169  How large is your washer?  What kind of duvet covers have you purchased? I have King beds and I use King duvet covers sourced from IKEA.  The duvet covers are essentially the same as two king sheets sewn together, so they are not difficult to wash.  I can do 2 king duvet covers in a single washer load.   

mine are a little thicker than 2 sheets.  But maybe the real problem is my washer!.  I could never wash 2 kings at the same time.  They get so tangled.  Even if I button or zip them.  

Hi @Linda169 

You can try those "wad-free" sheet detanglers made for the dryer on Amazon. I have never tried them, but some say they work well. Mixed reviews on Amazon:

Joan2709_0-1722196547974.png

Hi @Linda169 

Agree with @Mike-And-Jane0 , most Hosts I work with have covers for the duvets that are removed and easily washed and dried between guests. You can buy duvet covers on Amazon or Ikea that have zippers and are easy to put on & take off. There are also several YouTube videos on how to easily re-insert a duvet into a duvet cover (burrito method). 

Hosts that don't use duvets use a coverlet instead that is light-weight and easily washed and dried. Quilts and bedspreads tend to be too heavy and are hard to dry.

Hi @Linda169 

Yes...agree. Most hosts only wash the duvet cover (which is usually relatively thin and easily washed and dried). The duvet inserts usually don't get washed, as you said as they won't fit in most residential washers/dryers and would take forever to wash and dry.

You can always go the hotel sheet route, but as @Mike-And-Jane0 noted, these sheets don't always stay in place and result in skin contact with duvet insert.