Missing Payouts, Has this happened to anybody else?

Susan723
Level 4
Cocoa, FL

Missing Payouts, Has this happened to anybody else?

Any other hosts experiencing missing payments from Airbnb? It first happened to me earlier this year. It was just one payment that time and only a few hundred dollars. After 3 days and receiving no notice of payout I called and spent hours on the email and phone with airbnb. They finally acknowledged their error and issued the payment. For my hours of trouble they sent me a coffee mug. This time the missing payouts total nearly $2k. I have already spent much time trying to get it corrected. So far I am just getting the "we are checking into it" email message. The original rep I spoke with acknowledged to me that there was a mistake made. So now I just get to sit and wait for them to hopefully correct their error again. I wonder if I will get another coffee mug. Frankly I would rather just timely get my payouts and without having to waste hours of my time to get them. Anyway just wondering if this is happening to other hosts and also a heads up to other hosts to be sure to keep track of your payouts.

375 Replies 375

PS Airbnb couldn't give a flying fig if hosts threaten to stop taking future reservations - particularly small hosts with only one or two listings. They have infinitely more hosts than their systems and infrastructure can handle or cope with anyway, so every host that bails, is doing them a favour. (Unless the host jumps through all the hoops of having their entire account deleted - as opposed to simply deactivated - they'll still be counted in the numbers presented to potential IPO investors anyway). So a win-win for Airbnb.

-

@Susan723 

What strategy would you suggest hosts, who are missing Payouts, use to get paid by Airbnb?

There is an implied contract about getting paid that lures hosts into using the Airbnb platform, and it is far different than all the arse-covering boiler plate that you quoted above. 

As you said the boiler plate won't fly in some jurisdictions.

i'm not sure about your assessment that Airbnb doesn't care about losing hosts even if they have only one or two accounts.

In any regard I'm trying to give people who post here in frustration a strategy to use when talking to Airbnb on the phone: for some people it has seemed to work. 

But I realize now that most People just post to whine and they never follow through: they don't even bother to read the 18 pages of information contained herein.

But thanks to the few people who do follow through after posting their complaint. I think it's all valuable information.

-

@John1574 

The strategy I'd suggest is for everyone to read up on the T&Cs, be aware of their rights, and know what applies in their respective jurisdictions - and what doesn't (lots of hosts mention seeking legal advice, when it would be a complete waste of their time and money, in most instances)

And rather than going through the absolute torture of chasing Airbnb for weeks/months on end, trying to get earnings that are legally and rightfully theirs, hosts should simply threaten to take their grievances public, by whatever means necessary. And follow through, if their funds aren't released to them in a timely manner. If enough hosts started to do that, we'd soon find that Airbnb's "glitches" would be fixed, pretty sharpish. 

Back in the earlier days, before the CC became the place for hosts to howl at the moon, in the mistaken belief that it will actually get them anywhere, hosts hit the media up en masse, if their payouts were even a day or two late - never mind, months on end. That always elicited a fairly rapid response from the company. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenkilloran/2015/09/15/airbnb-keeping-hosts-in-the-dark-about-missing...

@Susan17 wrote:

@John1574 

The strategy I'd suggest is for everyone to read up on the T&Cs, be aware of their rights, and know what applies in their respective jurisdictions - and what doesn't (lots of hosts mention seeking legal advice, when it would be a complete waste of their time and money, in most instances)

And rather than going through the absolute torture of chasing Airbnb for weeks/months on end, trying to get earnings that are legally and rightfully theirs, hosts should simply threaten to take their grievances public, by whatever means necessary. And follow through, if their funds aren't released to them in a timely manner. If enough hosts started to do that, we'd soon find that Airbnb's "glitches" would be fixed, pretty sharpish. 

Back in the earlier days, before the CC became the place for hosts to howl at the moon, in the mistaken belief that it will actually get them anywhere, hosts hit the media up en masse, if their payouts were even a day or two late - never mind, months on end. That always elicited a fairly rapid response from the company. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenkilloran/2015/09/15/airbnb-keeping-hosts-in-the-dark-about-missing...

I agree with this 100%!!! Take it out there, it will be resolved a lot quicker, don't honor next bookings since they are in breach of their own terms of service with you!

-

@Ella54 

"Take it out there?"

That's pretty vague advice.

I think people facing a problem with missing payouts would appreciate much more specific advice as to how to "take it out there".

Like, give us an example: Where would you turn in your area to publicize it, to, as you said "take it out there" and let the media know that they're holding your money?

The article @Susan723 linked to was in 2015. Yet here it is 2020 after being exposed in Forbes magazine, Airbnb is still doing the same thing: how was that a solution?

I'm in Providence, Rhode Island, a small city in the Northeast United States: please, tell me where would I go to publicize Airbnb's nefarious business practices? Local newspaper, Providence Journal, the Boston Globe, craigslist, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, what would you suggest, how would I publicize their holding back my money?

Sounds like good advice in theory, but I would like much more specifics on how you could do it and who you would contact to publicize their nefarious business practices.

I'm trying to develop a template here from people who have successfully received their money in the shortest time possible, and so far I think my advice is helpful in a specific way, but if you'd rather contact your local newspaper or whoever go right ahead,  it couldn't hurt, but it sounds like very, very vague and iffy advice.

To reiterate once again:

1. Contact Airbnb and keep contacting them until you find a sympathetic customer service rep.

2. tell them that since they broke the spirit of their agreement you will no longer accept reservations and you will cancel any upcoming reservations until you are paid. Give them a deadline of 48 hours.

3. Tell the customer service rep that you will contact the media to publicize their business practices and you will start with the local newspaper, the Chamber of Commerce and the Better Business Bureau: even if you do nothing it hangs there for them.

Now, that is specific, concrete advice. 

It is not vague, it does not leave the reader wondering, well,  how do I do that? 

I suppose the key is perseverance, finding a sympathetic rep and holding your temper. Tell them what you are going to do in response to them withholding your payment. Don't get angry, get even. It seems they always pay up eventually: you just want them to pay up sooner rather than later.

That's what I'm doing on this thread, trying to help people navigate this because I see how frustrating it is.

I'm not trying to get in an argument with anyone about what is in the terms and conditions, what is legal or not legal, but when someone tells me to publicize it and contact the media, I would like a little more detail about just how I'm supposed to do that. 

That would be helpful.

Does anyone have a detailed, point by point approach to handling the problem of missing payouts.

I'm not missing any PO's, but I am trying to help the people who come on this thread missing payouts. 

If anyone can add a technique or strategy that makes sense and will work and can be implemented, please, let us know.

@John1574  by that I meant to take it to the media, wherever the channels may be, appropriate for your area. This could be Twitter, Facebook, and any news channels that are local to you. It would be smart to look up media local to the people that are experiencing problems that recently wrote about Airbnb, since they may take the most interest, to start with. However as I'm sure you can imagine the possibilities are endless. Thanks!

JuanCarlos213
Level 2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

The same happened to me since January 08 this year 2020. Nothing resolved yet even with too many phone calls. no one is helping. hope I can reach the headquarter to understand what is going on. I am keeping documents of everything. Any suggestions or email and contacts of a person who is responsible to solve this issue. The amount is almost 1200k. HELP!!!

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

-

Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye!

Here be 18 pages of a thread dedicated to missing payouts.

18 Pages? 

Yes, 18 pages!

How many of the 18 pages of this ongoing thread did you read before posting your cry for help?

Do you think you might find some information about your problem in the 18 pages of discussion of this problem on this 18 page thread?

You might find some information, in the 18 pages of this thread, on how to handle missing payouts: or you can not read the 18 pages of information on this thread about missing payouts and that's perfectly fine too.

Good luck recouping you're payouts.

-

Any one got resolution on these issues? I have a payment delayed for more than 2 months now and no one seem to help me. I called them several times and they keep on saying they passed the issue to the account team and I have to wait, but then no one contacts me back or pay me the money

I received a message from the Airbnb on 08 February 2020 indicating that my payout (USD 1833.30) was released and that the payment is likely to reach my account in Sri Lanka on 14 February 2020. Guests checked in on 24 December 2019 and checked out on 31 December 2019. Notice indicating the release of the payout was received on 08 February 2020, after relentless persuasion. Airbnb website says that the payout will be released to the hosts 24 Hours after the guests check in.     

@Sathis7 

See my post to John, above.

-

@Sathis7 

Congratulations!

Perseverance, it seems, is the number one trait shared by the hosts who successfully get paid.

Please, share the details of the perseverance you used to get the problem resolved successfully.

Once again, big congratulations to you.

And thank you for sharing your update. Very important on this thread.

-

Thank you John and much appreciated. I informed Aibnb that I will not accept any future reservations, until I receive the payout in my bank account. In addition, I informed them that I will notify all Airbnb hosts in Sri Lanka, through the Sri Lanka Tourism Website, to be mindful in accepting the reservations. In Sri Lanka, most of the Aibnb hosts are very small players and they can easily end-up loosing the venture due to debts, unless they receive the payouts in time. Finally, I found a very good Customer Support Officer Mervin.      

"I informed them that I will notify all Airbnb hosts in Sri Lanka, through the Sri Lanka Tourism Website, to be mindful in accepting the reservations" 

Now that's  the way to get their attention! (And a good CX agent is always a bonus!) If there's one thing Airbnb doesn't need right now, it's more bad publicity. Well done, @Sathis7 !

-

@Sathis7  @Emerson43 @JuanCarlos213 

Thank you, Sathis. This information is very helpful.

It was good to point out that you found a good customer service rep in Mervin.

One piece of advice I give on this topic is that every customer service rep is different and you keep calling until you find a sympathetic one.

You also gave airbnb several ultimatums: you would not take future bookings and you would go to the media to publicize this problem.

So to attempt to reiterate once again:

1. find a good customer service rep.

2. Tell them they violated the spirit of your agreement by not paying you.

3.  Give them a short time to Pay after which you will cancel your future bookings and not take any further bookings until paid.

4. tell them you'll be informing the media and online resources to publicize the problem by advising other and future hosts to beware.

If anyone has any other ideas, better ideas even, please share them with us on this thread.

This thread should be about solutions and anyone posting here should read the entire thread to get an idea of how this problem has been dealt with on the 18 pages of this thread.

-