Need advice: first time hosting

Need advice: first time hosting

Hi everyone, I just started Airbnb as a host.

Currently, my apartment is 75$. I am giving a 20% discount to the first three guests and also a 20% discount to monthly booking.

There's a guest who sent me a request today which he wants to book 29 days, he needs an additional discount also, something like daily 28$. What do you offer? Do I have to accept it but it seems weird me to drop 75 to 28 :).

9 Replies 9
Shehryar1
Level 2
Islamabad, Pakistan

You dont need to drop it from $75 to $28, its for you to decide what is best for you, if you can earn profit or not. Try making a deal for the guest in which both of you agree. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Sevdimali0  Be careful. Many hosts have warned here that guests who try to knock you down on price are disrespectful people who may be bad guests in many ways.... Has your guest got good reviews from several other hosts? If not, I would be cautious. And disrespectful guests may be particularly manipulative with new hosts, who they may think are a push over. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Sevdimali0 

1) Hosts in the USA have reported that after 28 days, guests can claim tenant's rights. So be careful with a 29 day request! I don't know the legal situation in Azerbaijan!

2) Some hosts prefer very short stays to begin with. a) You build up (good, we hope) reviews that way, which helps guests to trust you. b) If you get bad guests, (hope not!) you are not stuck with them for long!) c) Your 20% discount period is soon over, you've got 3 good reviews, and you can start charging full price sooner!

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Sevdimali0 if you are new to hosting do not accept over 5 days guests, as u need to learn from small mistake to avoid them to future guests, accepting long term as 1st-time host can turn to real nightmare and be careful on those super cheap price u are getting into, as unfortunately many long term guests are not considerate when he comes to utility usage and u will end up with expensive bills. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I would say no to this super-low price.

If you only get 1 week booked at the full price you will make almost as much as a month of this person so its just not worth the wear and tear PLUS the risk of them being a problem guest.

Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Tell him no. Some people are just trying their luck, trying to rip off new hosts. And anyone doing this is likely to be a dodgy guest anyway. Be patient and the proper bookings will come.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I would work on building my reputation (of reviews). That means having lots of SHORT-duration guests.

You don't want your very first guest to leave a bad review. That would kill your business.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sevdimali0  A guest's financial situation is not your affair. If they can't afford a place they find listed, then they need to look for something within their budget, not find a place they like and then try to get the host to give it to them for a price that's acceptable to them. Why should you take a loss because some stranger wants it cheaper? 

Wants to pay $28/night for something that's listed at $75? That's just insulting. He can go find a hostel.

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

I agree with the other posters on this subject. In Alaska, if a guest stays for 7 days or more, they can claim residency in your unit and hosts might have to take the guest to eviction court. I wouldn't chance it. 

It's better to accept a bunch of one-day reservations to build up your listing and obtain reviews. 

It's a little rude for this guest to demand that you lower your rate by $50+ per day. I understand it's for a long term stay, but that isn't a fair request.

Also, what if the guest doesn't work out for you for whatever reason? Then you'll be stuck with them.