No pets to 5 pit bulls and more guests. Air BnB no help.

Lauren3359
Level 2
Livingston, TX

No pets to 5 pit bulls and more guests. Air BnB no help.

Guest states she is not bringing any pets on her reservation and agrees on her check in message with me. At 1 am her kids are ringing my video door bell with a huge dog. I text her I will add the pet fee and make the change to her reservation in the AM but I wished she had told me prior, I try to make sure to have crates, beds, and puppy gates, food bowls, treats for dogs. Today the cameras are going off nonstop with new guests arriving. Up to 11 family members. And 4 more large dogs. I text the guest kindly to remove the other pets by 5 pm and call Airbnb asking them to take care of the situation. They tell me that because I don’t have it written in my rules that she can not bring more pets they can not help. They offered to help end the reservation but will be refunding the guest for her time. What? This is absolutely crazy. So as hosts we are supposed to accept that the guest has 5 pit bulls and 11 people in a small rental that only hold 6 people and maybe one small pet. There is nothing I can do. If it’s a service animal I’m screwed and they can not protect my unit from damages or guarantee to help pay for the damages done. I’m appalled. I feel extremely used and manipulated by Airbnb and this guest. Unless it is in your rules there is nothing they can do. The guest can bring a tiger, lions, bears, ants if they want to and pay one pet fee and all of it is allowed and tolerated. Even if it is in the rules Airbnb will side with the guest and refuses to use common sense. Who would bring 5 dogs to a hotel or home and not expect to be kicked out? You allow an inch and they take a mile. If these dogs were people, this amount of bodies would be considered a party. Airbnb regulates large groups of people but bring as many animals as you like. Take advantage of our hosts. Why not?

1 Reply 1
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

That's incredibly stressful @Lauren3359, but it's your property, not Airbnb's, so it's up to you to take control of it.  Yes, you gave an inch and they took a mile, and that's the lesson.  When you texted and said you would add the pet fee, the guest took it that you had no problem with her doing what she did, and extended that thought to you having no problem with her doing anything she wanted to do.  Every interaction with a guest is in some way a negotiation and you gave her power in this negotiation.  As hosts we need to demonstrate that we are in control.

You can shorten the reservation and tell them it's over, refund them for the nights not used and get them out of there.  You can't sit around expecting Airbnb to police your property.  That's your job.