Occupancy Taxes...how do we know they were paid by Air BnB?

JoEllen--Joey-0
Level 1
Rhode Island, United States

Occupancy Taxes...how do we know they were paid by Air BnB?

Hello. I am new to Air BnB. My state of Rhode Island is a jurisdiction whereby Air BnB can pay the occupancy taxes. So, I would've expected it to be paid already, for April and May 2021...but the state just told me that the taxes have NOT been filed yet for April or May 2021, and sent a tax delinquency notice to me. Those were the only months I had guests.

How do I check if the taxes were filed by Air BNB, (The state said they cannot see that information, which seems weird) Is there a REAL PERSON I can speak to who will check this out? I see they were collected by AirBnB but cannot see anything in my account or listing about it they were actually paid to the state of RI.

Do we get statements about this at the end of each year from Air BnB?

Thank you.

JoEllen

1 Reply 1
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@JoEllen--Joey-0   You do not get any documentation from Airbnb showing that your taxes have been paid.  In my state, NC, I file a zero tax due report each month detailing the gross amount of my rentals and the amount of tax paid by the guests TO AIRBNB.  I then file the required explanation document that states that the taxes are collected by Airbnb, are not paid to me, and are remitted by Airbnb so no taxes are due from me.  I did this on the advice of my accountant and a letter from the NC tax authority. 

You may be able to do something similar in your state.