Occupancy taxes

Answered!
A77
Level 2
Marathon, FL

Occupancy taxes

Hi! 

AirBnb collects our sales tax of 6% and files it for us. Do we still need to file with  the Florida Department of Revenue ? And if so , do we report $0 amount ?I've been getting different answers.

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@A77  This is something that you need to research with your state tax department.  An accountant may be able to advise you on what to do.

I am in NC.  All of my required taxes are collected and purportedly remitted by AirBnB to three tax authorities (State, County and Municipality).  However, AirBnB does not provide me with any documentation proving that they have paid my taxes on my behalf.  Without that documentation, I am at risk of having the tax authorities bill me for unpaid taxes. 

At the advice of my accountant, I file zero tax due returns with an explanation letter crafted by my attorney stating that the taxes owed were collected and paid by AirBnB (and other OTAs).

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@A77  This is something that you need to research with your state tax department.  An accountant may be able to advise you on what to do.

I am in NC.  All of my required taxes are collected and purportedly remitted by AirBnB to three tax authorities (State, County and Municipality).  However, AirBnB does not provide me with any documentation proving that they have paid my taxes on my behalf.  Without that documentation, I am at risk of having the tax authorities bill me for unpaid taxes. 

At the advice of my accountant, I file zero tax due returns with an explanation letter crafted by my attorney stating that the taxes owed were collected and paid by AirBnB (and other OTAs).

Thank you Lorna , it’s been a process trying to get in touch with the Florida department of Revenue. I’ve left numerous voicemails , but I will go in person today. Thank you so much for your advice .