Palm Beach County Tourist Development Tax (TDT) Must Be Paid By You

Answered!
Brian1613
Level 10
West Palm Beach, FL

Palm Beach County Tourist Development Tax (TDT) Must Be Paid By You

When you sign up for Airbnb, it tells you that they collect taxes in Florida. Well, sort of. ONE COUNTY, Palm Beach County, does not participate.

When you read this: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2580/palm-beach-county-fl , it is still currently telling you to go to the County website to find out the rules.   They don’t really post them, either. 

You must collect the Palm Beach County Tourist Development Tax (TDT), and file it, manually, yourself.  If you haven’t, taking Airbnb at the “We pay Florida Taxes, thing,” you will be fined for each late report, and still owe the 6% TDT.

Further, Airbnb does not collect the TDT. Here is how you can collect it yourself, though, through their system:

1. In your Hosting Dashboard on a WEB BROWSER, go to the listing under the Listing tab;
  2. Under “Pricing” in the listing, scroll down to “Standard Fees and Charges”;
  3. Click on Community Fee;
  4. Set the calculation to %
  5. Enter 6, per reservation
  6. Save

That will then collect the money needed to pay the local 6% tax.

Otherwise, the 6% comes out of your profits!

I just went back and caught up.  It can be a bit expensive, with fines.  

Why is Palm Beach the only county that does this?  Can’t tell you. I asked. Got no answer. I would suspect that they like the fines. Otherwise, they would get 100% of the tax money through Airbnb.

Brian Ross
1 Best Answer
Marie5877
Level 2
West Palm Beach, FL

Wow! What a shock I got! I tried my best to follow all of the rules. I thought AirBnb was paying for the  taxes - I can see that the guests have been charged! Were those only for the state of FL? Has AirBnb been paying them or am I going to get socked with a penalty for those as well? 

I cannot believe that the County can penalize a whopping $50 per month when there explanation is so poor. i am appealing it, but who knows if that will work or not. OUCH!

Your help is 1000% better than either explanations on AirBnb or PBC websites. Thank you.

View Best Answer in original post

55 Replies 55

WEB BROWSER because their antiquated system locks up on phones, and iPad iOS Chrome. iPad Safari now works, but the way the Assessor’s office built their website uses some very clunky tech that takes forever to get into. 

I’m the new Community Leader for West Palm Beach, which is the closest Community Group to you. Airbnb set up a facebook page for us. You can join at https://www.facebook.com/groups/westpalmbeachairbnbhosts

We’re here to work together to sort all of this stuff out!

Cheers,

Brian Ross
Peter-And-Jennifer0
Level 2
Delray Beach, FL

Wife and I been with AirB&B and we are coming closer to cancel. We have made 5 calles to AirB&B without getting a straight answer. Brian, you are 100% correct.  However, their support keeps asserting that they are collecting the sales tax ( even though the percentage is incorrect) and TDT tax and remitting it to the tax authorities. Five calls and same assertions. So what have they been doing with the monewy that they have been collecting from the tenant?  No answer as of 5 months of inquiry.

I I am a CPA and understand the tax laws, federal, State and local mentioned to them that the rental sales tax now id 6.5% ( 2019 was 6.7%) and per the download excel report they are, for one, the percentage is incorrect, and two where is the money? I am paying the taxes and in the mean time 

they are collecting the taxes, per the 5 conversations, but have not received a response where the funds are going. Out TDT account number was uploaded to their website and complied.

Next thing I know is that Airb&B changed out status to 180 days or more and we can not change it

back to the 7 day minumum.  

I spoke to the Florida Dept of REvenue and tax collector in Palm beach County as  Brian mentioned, they do not receive any tax funds.

For those that Airb&B are collecting the funds for Palm Beach County hosts, call and ask them if they are collecting the tax on the tenants. Most likely they will say yes, ask them where the funds are if the authorities do not collect the funds, they will not respond.  It is becoming a legal issue. My name is Peter Camacho and you can call my office just do a google search for Peter Camacho CPA.  Frustrating. 

@Peter-And-Jennifer0 

There are several threads on the Community Centre in relation to the tax issue, and also on the 180 day debacle (countless posts on FB groups and forums too) You can find the ones in the CC if you use the search bar. One recent thread below. Hope you get everything sorted soon - your head must be melted! 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Airbnb-is-being-shady-with-occupancy-taxes-in-Osceola-Count...

For what to do about the 180 Day, and what is going on,  see...  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Palm-Beach-County-180-Day-Delistings/m-p/1246497/highlight/...

Brian Ross

If you’re still with us, I’m the new Community Leader for West Palm Beach, which is the closest Community Group to you. Airbnb set up a facebook page for us. You can join at https://www.facebook.com/groups/westpalmbeachairbnbhosts

Cheers,

Brian Ross
Daniel7049
Level 2
Lake Worth, FL

Hi Brian, thanks for the information. I just was notified that my listing now has a 180 day minimum stay because I need to add my registration numbers. I added the registration number months ago and I have been filling and submitting my payments since Jan 1 2021. I went back in and re-entered the information but I still have the 180 day minimum stay. Do you know who I can e-mail or call to get this resolved? 

Hi Daniel!

I put support for that in another thread. Search Palm Beach County Tax and you’ll see one or more of them. Hard to keep re-writing. Let me know if you resolved the issue.

I’m the new Community Leader for West Palm Beach, which is the closest Community Group to you. Airbnb set up a facebook page for us. You can join at https://www.facebook.com/groups/westpalmbeachairbnbhosts

Cheers,

Brian Ross

The same happened to me!! 

Linda3172
Level 2
Florida, United States

Thanks everyone for the helpful details

Linda R. ClenDening
Linda3172
Level 2
Florida, United States

Hi Brian - do you know if this is still applicable in 2021?  I looked for the community fee (I'm in the Web Browser), but don't find that.  Can it be used with the Smart pricing?  

Linda R. ClenDening

The Community Fee is additional. This bug Airbnb fixed. They should pass through the County Tax for our county to us, as they don’t remit it.  We’re the only county in Florida where the Assessor doesn’t like 100% compliance and to get paid fully.  Fines, maybe? I know it was a two year battle with Airbnb. 

Cheers,

Brian Ross

Hi Linda ! 

At this point, Airbnb is remitting the tax to you in your gross. You’re supposed to pay it out from there. If you find that isn’t the case, as whatever they’re doing for this seems to be a bit random, do let me know.

I’m the new Airbnb Community Leader for West Palm Beach/The Palm Beaches/Palm Beach County.  If you have Facebook, join us at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/westpalmbeachairbnbhosts. The goal is to have a stronger community where we can engage in improving our hosting, and dealing with common issues like our seemingly perpetual  tax challenges with Ms. Gannon’s office.

Brian Ross

@Brian1613  Thanks for you guidance on this. To confirm, is airbnb now collecting the 6% local tax  from the guests upfront and adding that to our gross for us to remit to the west palm tax office? Or do we still need add the community tax and handle that internally? 

Taika0
Level 1
Boynton Beach, FL

Hello I have a cleaning company and we offer free COVID disinfecting. My contact number is

**[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]