Rego renewal

Rego renewal

Every year I have trouble getting a timely renewal from the City of LA Home-sharing administrators. Since 2017! I have previously had to contact my city council rep to get any action at all including returned emails from administrators. My city council rep was voted out of office now. This year I began as I do every year a month in advance of rego expiration and still 2 emails including my renewal form is  unanswered. Have others had to contend with this? This year I asked to change my renewal from extended to regular but their form is not really set up for this alteration. I fear if I just create a brand new regular rego ,which is clearly inappropriate, it will cause an even bigger delay. Thoughts?

4 Replies 4
Breanna
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Pontefract, United Kingdom

Hi @Lisa8632,

This has definitely been a tough one for some of the Hosts on our Community. I will tag a few who might be able to offer you some insights @Jamie-and-David0 @Rob-and-Barri0 @Jordon12 

I'll also leave the link to a recent post about LA STR registration here>> https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help-with-your-business/expired-registration-Los-Angele-question... 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Rob-and-Barri0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks Breanna. Hi @Lisa8632 . I never had a renewal problem in prior years. This year, I mistook the renewal email for the monthly pay per night filing, which looks very similar. We were also on vacation so I wasn’t paying close enough attention. I never received an expiration notice and didn’t know there was any issue until Airbnb shut me down for short term rentals. I also went to our city council rep who did some digging and found that it had expired and I had to re-apply all over again after having been a superhost for almost 9 years. 

The party line is that the department is “experiencing high volume” which I reject. No one wanted this department when it started — there was no need for it except more bureaucracy and job creation. If they can’t handle the work, they should either hire more people or fold the department. I have been struggling through this for over four months now with no replies. 

I am now on my third attempt to get my paperwork accepted. They keep denying it for technicalities that were never previously an issue. My gut tells me they are throwing up roadblocks to home sharing due to pressure from the hotels. The recent proposals for more roadblocks confirm that. The city is clearly not in support of us. All I can say is that they have been reviewing (and denying) my recent application. I would say to just renew or do a new application and they should respond to that if nothing else. Good luck. — Rob

And there it is. Hot off the presses. The city just passed the police permit legislation. 

“More broadly, it would create a new regulatory hurdle for short-term rental and hotel operators, allowing the City Council and neighborhoods to challenge the issuance of the permits.”

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-11-28/airbnb-operators-would-need-police-permit-in-l-a...

Jennie248
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

I hav3 had this problem year after year in LA. I even went down to the DTLA office and no one was there in that department. They just made me fill out a form for my concern and that’s it. Have you had any success? If so can you please send me an email or number you used? Thank you in advance. Hope to hear from you soon.