Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

The Business of Hosting - tracking and enumerating expenses associated with Hosting - maximizing profits from a tax perspective

The Business of Hosting - tracking and enumerating expenses associated with Hosting - maximizing profits from a tax perspective

I am hoping that there is a Host Community that has established itself to assist Hosts in the more mundane but equally important task of running the business. please point me in the right direction. I have been Hosting as a Super Host, in the Northern Virginia , USA market for the past three years.  I have enjoyed a solid stream of bookings but feel that I am often leaving money on the table. I host because I enjoy nearly every aspect of it.  I am also a business person and feel that there must be a wealth of experience out there from people that have been hosting and have figured out the nuances of characterizing their expenses for tax and business planning purposes.  

Please point me in the right direction.

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@John-R-1 It is not clear what you are looking for.

Regarding pricing you can either research similar listings in your area or subscribe to something like Airdna   to get data on pricing and, I believe, occupancy rates

Regarding tax you either need to research your local rules or employ an accountant

Regarding putting it all together an excel spreadsheet should be able to split fixed and variable costs and produce forecasts of revenue and profit

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

You need to speak to an accountant about this, who can provide you with professional advice based on your personal circumstances @John-R-1