Using other platforms

Kelli405
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

Using other platforms

Hello my name is kelli. This is going to be my very first rental property. I was wondering how you feel about using other websites to help with getting your property out on the web on different platforms, helping with calendar, invoicing, and seeing how my property is doing monthly charts, language and currency issues. Example is Uplifting, owneRez, cloudbeds? Do you recommend using another app? How does Airbnb help with all the things I said above. I know about your calendar and connecting with other sites. Please help I’m so brand new

1 Reply 1
Guy991
Level 10
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Kelli405,

In one word: wait.

You just started, and Airbnb's platform is good enough, especially since you are beginning with a single property. Airbnb deals with language (automatic translation) and currency. You practically have everything you need to start. Focus on establishing good and stable high-star reviews, preferably. Learn what type of clients are attracted to your property (with time, you will see patterns). Learn how to host, how to keep the property clean efficiently. Step by step. Only later, after at least one year, when you have had at least 20 guests and you are a super host (that's a good benchmark), can you start thinking of a third-party app, if you are still considering it.

Still, many hosts do not use it, especially when dealing with a single unit. Their reason is that once you connect a third-party app to the Airbnb platform (which needs to be done to control pricing, messages, and your calendar), Airbnb will change your pricing method. Now, the guest sees your price and, in addition, the Airbnb cost for the guest separately. When you connect a third-party app, the guest will see a single price, and Airbnb will charge you a fixed 15% from that, not from the guest. That will make your fees higher than other properties around you. So, adding a third-party app might increase efficiency and probably profit, but it has a cost from the Airbnb side, and as long as you have one unit, I don't think it's worth it. Airbnb's platform is good enough.

Of course, this is my personal opinion and my feelings towards hosting on Airbnb that I am sharing with you, being a host for less than a year. I also thought about making things more efficient, but changing the pricing system stopped me from doing it.

Good luck and welcome to an amazing adventure.

There are many tips to learn, but let me give you three quick pieces of advice:

1. Turn off instant booking. It will attract the wrong guests who are looking for new hosts like you. 
2. Don't confirm a reservation until you understand the nature of the guest, how many are in their company, and the reason for their stay. Ask questions.
3. Do not accept bookings for more than 2 weeks, because after a month, they become legal tenants.