What happen after I refuse to pay damage cost

Answered!
David2025
Level 2
Prague, Czech Republic

What happen after I refuse to pay damage cost

Hello,

I would like to ask what happens after the host requested me to pay 4K CZK damage fee, later Airbnb lowered it to 2K CZK in resolution center between us and gave me 48h to pay it, since they tried to take it from my account, like the deposit, but I don't have any money there and will not have any soon until another paycheck. 

What happens if I don't pay this damage fee in 48h as they requested?

1 Best Answer
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@David2052 The stairs are made out of ready pine and not solid . some of it is rotted and some is worm eaten so I imagine those are not legal stairs to start with . No one would charge 4000 dollars for that , no legitimate builder . It comes under health and safety . Ask for the copy of the account and ring the builder who fixes .I think its a scam H

View Best Answer in original post

53 Replies 53
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@David2025 do you agree that you owe the money?

If not you should dispute it.

If you agree you owe the money but don't have the funds, then tell them this and agree when you will be able to pay it to them.

Worse case scenario they take you to court if you don't pay and ban you from Airbnb.

I've now read both the hosts review and yours.

Unfortunately yours came across as rather childish and will I am sure put quite a few hosts off from hosting you.

David2025
Level 2
Prague, Czech Republic

Hello, I don't agree to owe money to the host  As I acted normally and told him straight away  He acted like a child stated kicking and accusing ppl around. Here is the picture of the stairs  It's in bad shape. BAD! I wrote him normal review, he wrote that one. So I replied him childishly as he. So what happened if I don't pay? As I am refused because of the dangerous stairs. I cam press charges against him easily.Screenshot_20180323-120543.pngScreenshot_20180323-120538.png

Do you dear Helen agree, that these stairs are in horrible condition? This is not acceptable. I told it all to Airbnb and they did NOTHING! Just told me to pay 2k CZK. Where is justice here? I did all good. Once it happened (last day of departure) I told the owner, said sorry and clarify everything. He later wanted to pay some ridiculous price, probably knowing the stairs are horrible. I told him no and he put it to Airbnb resolution center. Then he wrote that review, that took him a week to write, acting like an idiot and made me look ridiculous and that I am not a good guest. His stairs are dangerous and I want his flat to be blocked from Airbnb until he repairs it to be in good condition so ppl would not afraid to walk on it!!! So again, where is the justice? Heh?!

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@David2025 If you are being asked to pay for repairs to the stairs, I would refuse. 

I've never heard of airbnb taking a guest to court, the host is lucky you are not claiming hospital costs from them.

Airbnb does nothing.  Someone damaged my couch . After 16 days they say its been escalated.  Nothing no emails nothing  

were you able to recover your money? 

Jocy0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

@ David

I am having the same issue with a host. 

Honestly the review i left her was good because i was happy on my end and i assumed she would be too.But she was trying to charge me around 5K for the "damages" 

the only thing i agreed with was the fact that i took my dog so i told her we could negociate a price there.

On the other hand we ended up contacting Airbnb because she did not want to come to an agreement but they are still asking for a chunk of money. What eneded up happening in your case?

David2025
Level 2
Prague, Czech Republic

Sorry, my case is totally different. 😄 I did everything right. Just my guest stairs were old and **bleep**ty, so I broke one plank. I refused to pay as it was not my fault, I told host and he got crazy. He put it into dispute center, I gave em my statement, he gave em his. At the end they still wanted me to pay the amount. Lower, but still. I refused and that´s basically all. I told em to open the case again, which they said they can´t (for no fu..ing reason) as this was clearly the host fault. End of story. I´m willing to talk with host, who is normal, not IDIOT and want to charge me way over the price of one wooden plank. Unless the stairs are made by his grandfather 200y ago. 😄 😄

@David2025   Yes, your situation was completely different, the only similarity being that a host was asking a guest to pay for damages. In your case, as is obvious from the photos you posted, and to anyone who knows anything about construction, those stairs were funky and a disaster waiting to happen. Unless you weigh 400 pounds and were jumping up and down on the stairs with the intention to break them, there is no way a thick board like that can break unless it is defective, or not supported properly.

@Jocy0  appears to have completely disregarded the host's house rules, caused negligent damages, and walked away from the house ignoring check-out instructions and leaving the place unlocked and open to theft. Then refuses to take responsibility for her behavior, which isn't surprising from someone who behaves like that in the first place.

I'm glad you answered her post.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jocy0    So you brought your dog when the listing said no pets, you had a party and disturbed the neighbors when the rules say no parties, and you damaged things and didn't lock up as instructed when you left. This is according to the hosts' review. Looking through the hosts' many reviews of their previous guests, they are not the kind of hosts who make things up- they have given all of their guests nice reviews, except for you. I'd say you're the one at fault here and need to take responsibility for your disrespect.

@David I am in the same boat. I rented a house in March and a few days after I left the host said I damaged his pool table. I never even uncovered the pool table as I was barely in the house. He requested a ridiculous amount of money, I refused and then it went to the resolution center and they lowered the amount a little. They also gave me 48 hours to pay it since they could not get it from the card I have on file. I was wondering if you paid it or not? If not did anything happen? I one do not have the money they want me to pay at this time and I also really feel it is unfair to pay for damages that I know I did not cause. I just want to know what would happen if I do not pay it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

@Sasha60

Well if they want to take it further they would need to take it to Court, which seems unlikely, obviously to have a case they would also need solid evidence.

David

Thank you David in Como, CO. I appreciate your response. I have contacted an attorney to respond to the resolution center. 

@Sasha60 I wonder if a guest who loses a Resolution Centre decision and avoids paying is able to continue using the Airbnb platform.

While Airbnb may not go through the trouble of pursuing you in court for the funds they feel you owe, Airbnb can certainly (and easily) prevent you from using the Airbnb system to travel until you pay.

I don't know if this is what happens, but it seems like it could.

(Note: this is not a commentary or opinion on who is right or wrong in this situation.)