What happen after I refuse to pay damage cost

Answered!
David2025
Level 2
Prague, Czech Republic

What happen after I refuse to pay damage cost

Hello,

I would like to ask what happens after the host requested me to pay 4K CZK damage fee, later Airbnb lowered it to 2K CZK in resolution center between us and gave me 48h to pay it, since they tried to take it from my account, like the deposit, but I don't have any money there and will not have any soon until another paycheck. 

What happens if I don't pay this damage fee in 48h as they requested?

1 Best Answer
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@David2052 The stairs are made out of ready pine and not solid . some of it is rotted and some is worm eaten so I imagine those are not legal stairs to start with . No one would charge 4000 dollars for that , no legitimate builder . It comes under health and safety . Ask for the copy of the account and ring the builder who fixes .I think its a scam H

View Best Answer in original post

53 Replies 53

@Matthew285 thank you for your response. I agree that they will probably ban me from using them anymore. However, I am okay with that as this was my first and last experinece with Airbnb. 

David2025
Level 2
Prague, Czech Republic

inHi, Sasha, I would not say you are in the same boat, maybe only in the same sea. But not the boat. 😄  I broke old stairs, which was for sure not my fault and I prooved photos which shows the bad quality of stairs. If the host said you broke a pool table and you said you don't, I don't believe you at all. Sorry. That´s totally different. Can you show the photos of the broken pool table to prove the damage?

@David you are entitled to your opinion even though you do not have the facts. I simply reached out to you to find out the consequences of not paying after the resolution center contacts you and gives you an amount owed. I never uncovered the pool table during my stay so I do not know if the piece of siding missing was always missing or not. Nor did I take pictures in the house. I have contacted an attorney to handle my case as I am not paying for damages that I did not cause. Thank you for your response. 

Lukasz12
Level 2
Warsaw, Poland

Hey,

I’m having a problem with hosts demands as well.

Throughout my 5 days stay in NYC I had problems with the flat since the first minute; the lock didn’t lock properly preventing us to enter the flat for 2hrs! Then every single day we had problems with entering the flat; it took the host 3 days to repair the lock.

The oven didn’t work, the flat wasn’t spotless in terms of cleanliness.

We decided to close our eyes for that and enjoy NYC.

On our last day we clogged the toilet, not on purpose, we used it normally but unfortunately it clogged. There was no plunger in the whole flat so we couldn’t do anything about it.

Long story short, now host asks me to pay $150 for it!! Airbnb took host’s side.

Obviously I don’t agree with that, specially we had problems throughout our stay, and there was no plunger so we couldn’t react to this situation.

If I don’t pay, what happens? Thank you. 

Junru2
Level 1
Durham, NC

I've just met with the same situation. I opened the door using host's key and then the key got stuck in the lock. The host charged me 500$ for just a lock which is about 20$ on Amazon. I declined and am now waiting for the response. How did you solve your problem at last? Thanks!

@Junru2  That's absurd. A competent locksmith can easily remove a stuck key from a lock, the lock doesn't need to be changed. Good luck.

I actually live in a town that doesn't have a locksmith,  we have to get one from an hour away & they are too busy & unable to respond same day... if you have new guests arriving the same day you would have to replace the lock in my town.

Was your issue ever resolved? I’m in a similar situation where I was being charged $400 for towels they are claiming  12 towels had  makeup marks on them. I can say only one hand towel had makeup on it. I disputed it through Airbnb. They finally got back to me and approved the payout of $320 which I still refuse to pay. I’m curious to see what will happen if I don’t pay. @Amy76 

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

@Marina1679  did the host it Airbnb provide you with pics of the damaged towels? 

Nanci22
Level 1
Philadelphia, PA

I am currently dealing with a situation with a host right now.  I was recently in bristol with my mom for her 70th birthday.  We completely respected the rules of this beautiful apartment.  We did not smoke inside at all- and the host is coming back saying there is a burn hole in the carpet, and that it was created by us.  (a burn hole in the bedroom) . I know for a fact that we did not smoke in this apartment.  I don't even smoke in my own apartment.  I also, do not litter cigarette butts in the street- so there was absolutely zero trash in this apartment or outside of it.  When we left, i removed all trash, and the place was just as it was found, with the exception of bathroom towels.  She is now hitting me with $628 request.  I am definitely not paying this- It was obviously overlooked by her cleaning crew.  What is the recourse??? What happens now?  I sent Airbnb a message before i even got this financial request.  I'm really at a loss for words......

I have traveled all over, and have a great rapport with my hosts.  I've never had an issue- why would I start creating messes, and nonsense now???  So incredibly frustrated....

Funny thing, i was also requested by my Airbnb host to pay for a burnt cushion, the cushion looked like it was burnt by a lighter, a match stick or a cigarette and impossible to be burnt by a stove because the burnt mark was circular, mind you that my family members don't smoke, had no lighters  or a match stick with them during our stay, we didn't even see the freaking burnt cushion during our 11 days of stay. i'am currently asking how much i would have to pay for the damage i didn't do. Yes, there is no proof i did not burn it, but if that is the case, all host could have just burn anything and asked us to pay for the damages.

InkedIMG_0981_LI.jpg

@Hakim27 wrote:

Funny thing, i was also requested by my Airbnb host to pay for a burnt cushion, the cushion looked like it was burnt by a lighter, a match stick or a cigarette and impossible to be burnt by a stove because the burnt mark was circular, mind you that my family members don't smoke, had no lighters  or a match stick with them during our stay, we didn't even see the freaking burnt cushion during our 11 days of stay. i'am currently asking how much i would have to pay for the damage i didn't do. Yes, there is no proof i did not burn it, but if that is the case, all host could have just burn anything and asked us to pay for the 

Kimberly178
Level 3
Oklahoma, United States

Frankly,  you are entering into someone's home.  You are not staying in a hotel and as such there is an implied 'higher duty of care', at least in my country (USA).  It seems unlikely you would not notice a charred cushion during an eleven day stay, but let's give the benefit of the doubt.  

Your assertions of round burns and no one smoking, in my opinion, make no sense.  Of course a circular burn could have been the result of a cushion being placed on a stove.  I would use provable fact based information as opposed to rhetoric to argue your case. Not noticing a cushion with charcoal burns seems a bit far fetched.  

Inspect your stay and look for any damages that could be overlooked.  Notate them to host immediately and you will have resolved this altogether.  As a host, we do a thorough photo inventory and notate any pre-existing damages.  Maybe your host did this too?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Hakim27  I saw you have 2 reviews, and although they are brief, they are good. I'd tend to believe you and although I'm a host myself, I think that's a petty thing to bother to charge a guest for, unless the guest just left a total mess behind them (and your reviews indicate you leave places clean) I notice one of the pompom decorations is missing from one of the corners, too. Could be an old pillow they just hauled out for the photos, since you say you never saw it. You say they haven't told you how much yet. If it's some silly little amount, I'd almost be inclined to send them the money with a note- "Here's some money for the ratty old pillow we never even saw in the place, let alone burnt, as none of us smoke or had any occasion to use matches. I sure hope you don't treat all your guests like this."