What would you do? Advice please

Marissa160
Level 10
Dallas, TX

What would you do? Advice please

I Have a “what would you do” question please. We have a small cabin in a rural area that is an a-frame “log cabin”. In the three years we have owned it, one critter has gotten in the walls of the home and didn’t make it out. Now, we have another one and I have guests checking in on Monday! Pest control will be here to see about it tomorrow, but they won’t bait/trap until Monday as they can’t do it humanely (they don’t work on the weekend). Should I tell my guest about this potential issue and give them the option to cancel? Offer them a small refund for what Might be an inconvenience if they have to come back to check the trap? I just want to offer the best solution possible because I feel terrible this might be something they have to deal with it during their stay! Thank you for all advice! 

7 Replies 7
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Marissa160 from across the lands and seas from a fellow Host in Auckland, New Zealand.

Your A style Log Cabin is in a rural location and it would be reasonable for critters to make their home inside a nice sheltered Log Cabin - besides the woods is their natural home, isn't it?

Message your Guests that you have a little critter that may or may not be about living in your Cabin that they may or may not see or hear and write it in such a manner to be educational and to encourage appreciation of the animal life we have in the world whose homes we humans have taken over.

Do they have children?
Maybe they could make a game of looking for the critter to make their stay more fun as children like to explore and seek out new adventures.

Whilst we have through generations had it ingrained in us various animals, insects and plant species are pests, a danger or invasive, the realty is we all exist for a reason and have our place in the world.

Focus on the positive experience for all in Natures Wonderland...

All the best

Central to All Home & Location

@Helen427 thank you so much, wonderful advice! 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Marissa160 I am always in favor of giving guests complete information and as much freedom of choice as possible. In your shoes I would certainly inform them of the situation and offer them the choice of cancellation or whatever discount you think is merited.

@Lisa723 thank you Lisa, I appreciate it! 

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Marissa160  I would definitely be open with the guest, explain the situation and the disruption that "may" happen. Give them the option to cancel and offer to help them find another accommodation, or offer a small discount. If they choose to continue with the reservation, maybe also set up a small basket of goodies for them in the cabin and a "thank you for understanding" note.

If they choose to cancel, do it through CS (although it could be a pain) but they *should* be able to do a penalty-free "mutual" cancellation. I have done this before, but again, it may depend on the CS.

My water heater busted in my garage at about 4am one morning when I had a guest (I host a room in my house). The guest wasn't scheduled to check out for another few days and I wasn't sure how quickly I could get a new water heater. I explained the situation and offered to cancel/refund and help find alternate accommodations for her. She was very understanding and chose to stay and said no refund necessary. I was able to immediately replace the water heater, but I still gave her a one night refund and left her a 6-pack of beer in the fridge (she had brought beer with her so that's why I chose to give her beer!). She gave me a 5-star glowing review.

Dennise-Ann0
Level 4
Twain Harte, CA

I would be open about the critter problem.  I live remotely and have a cabin that I rent on the next property.  When ever there is a major problem and when I can let the guests know it advance I do.  Recently the power company shut off the power to change out poles.  Without power the cabin has no running water.  I was able to let the guest know and they cancelled.  Another a few years back, a guest was to arrive during a forecasted snowstorm.  We live beyond the plowed roads and even some 4WD vehicles can not navigate the roads.  I worked with Airbnb to make sure she was completely refunded.  She at first was upset saying she had a perfectly good car....  It was a safety issue and I really didn't want to call search and rescue.   Anyway, let the guest know so they can make an educated decision.

@Dennise-Ann0

I hope you have since messaged your previous Guest who was wanting to stay when you had the snowstorm and suggested they come and stay.

It may be a Golden Opportunity with the current situation we find ourselves in to reach out to some of the Guests we may have been placed in unusual situations , especially due to the weather, and let them know they are welcome to stay, it's more important than ever we encourage those who need Healing away from stressors and your property with the Horses would be ideal for many.

@Marissa160 

It's a pleasure.

If you have some Books on animals or the area I'd be inclined to have them on a Bookcase in your  Log Cabin - or on the table and let your Guests know they are welcome to read stories to their children, or if they are able to to read them themselves and go on a little adventure..

Maybe also some paper and colouring pens, pencils, paints so they can paint the scenery outside..who knows they may even spot the critter and draw it, or in @Dennise-Ann0  they are bound to see her Horses!

All the Best