4 star ratings

Answered!
Lauri-And-Roland0
Level 2
Orillia, Canada

4 star ratings

Our last 3 guests have given us a 4 star rating for cleanliness and value.  We live on the yacht too and our Airbnb stateroom and guest bathroom is cleaned after every stay .   We cannot clean up the entire Marina! Also for value, what more can we do for $85 a night...they get full run of the yacht, their own stateroom, bathroom, glass of wine on arrival plus a full breakfast?  Also some people will only do 4 stars no matter what...so how do we ever get Superhost Status? 

1 Best Answer

IF they have not provided private feedback to you about the cleanliness or value, reach out to them directly and ask.  Why did they mark you down for these things?  What can you do to improve for the next guest?  Be open and non-defensive  - respond after their feedback with a "thank you for sharing" message and that's all, even if your feelings are hurt.  Try to listen with an open-mind to see it from their perspective. 

You might learn that the guests "thought" a yacht would feel like living in an MTV video and it turned out it wasn't all that and a bag of chips - it was just a boat in a marina.  There's not much you can do except try to set "guest-pectations" better in the listing and manage those during their stay.  Tough to do for sure.  You might get some real feedback that you can do something about - maybe the head could use an airfreshener for the land-lubbers who aren't used to bathrooms smelling like, well, toilets (I'm not suggesting your bathrooms smell, I'm just being colorful).  Or maybe that thing that doesn't really bother you, really bothers your guests and you can fix it, like fingerprints or something you just don't see anymore living there.  

What you will learn is a lot more about the guest than what you can do to change things. We once got a 3 for value because we didn't have orange juice available in the morning.  For him, this was a horrible mistake and staying with us just wasn't worth it - all because we didn't have juice.  So I learned something - this guy likes his juice but he didn't bother to tell me at any time he just absolutely had to have juice to make his stay 5-star.  Do I buy juice now?  Nope. It was irrational. We've also noted that several of our lowered "location" scores were because our home is fully renovated, others on our street are not - YET!  So while we see the improvement, fully understand the changes taking place and love the diversity of our neighborhood, sometimes our suburban, middle-class, HOA-loving guests with their McMansion somewhere in Middle America do not.  We can't paint every house and you can't clean up every dock or boat.  There is little you can do about this lack of openness in people's eyes.  

View Best Answer in original post

20 Replies 20

Amusing to read of hosts' experiences and opinions on the ratings issue! As I'm a slow learner on things which require the use of a computer, it took me a while - and much gnashing of teeth - to get the hang of Airbnb. Now I am really pretty happy with how it all works...except for the 'pressures' exerted on being a great host, which also seem to make me feel a touch inadequate! However, as I have had really lovely reviews I had not paid much attention to those yellow stars until tonight. Well, only one but never noticed the few others who had given four, not five stars. But in trying to find out in which category those visitors had not given a full rating, I'm stymied by what seem to be the complexities of Airbnb's processes. Wouldn't it be so handy to press on those stars and get right through to their deep and meaningful categories of one's brilliance - or not. ( I SOooooo wish one could send an e-mail and get a customer service person in that enormousbuilding they have in Dublin. Ah, that was long and loud whinge from me, to no avail, so I gave up and got on with what I could.)  But now this matter of not quite making it to the 5-star mark with some is bugging me a tweensie bit. How can one deal with a matter if you don't know on which point one missed that mark? Luckily,  the rating seems just to be on our arts studio. It may be rather too arty and rustic for some! Of course I shall take the previous wise advice, not to fret and not to get obsessed with getting a 'full constellation' each time.  Neverthelss I am looking forward to reading someone's helpful advice on the three falling stars! Rosalind

I3
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

Love your response.

I have just messaged  a guest from this weekend past who rated four stars for Accuracy, Location and Value - gobsmacked .........

I have politely messaged him  - 'I do my very best to provide guests with a great experience - to do that detailed feedback helps. I do hope you have time to message me more detail on the ratings you gave so that I may address them.'

I will be interested to see if he bothers replying. One forum member suggested it is a good move to try this approach .........

As many folks point out - we can't please everyone and there are a lot of guests out there who love travelling the world without understanding what Airbnb is really about.

Maybe I will greet my guests differently and give them a wee bit of coaching about the importance of 5*s before they leave the building !!!!

Anything is worth a try   ..........

Happy hosting under lots of stars.

Heather289
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Hi,

I share your concerns.

I have had solid 5 stars from everyone, and then suddenly I got 4 stars for cleanliness and 4 stars for location and 4 stars for oveall experience.    The flat is spotless, and I met the people at the beginning and the end and asked if everything was okay.  They have given a good review in words and mentioned nothing, so I don't understand it. 

They don't understand that it brings down the overall score and affects business.  I work so hard to make everything perfect, and to ensure that they have a wonderful time.

I have e mailed them to ask why they only gave 4 stars for cleanliness, and did they have any problem with anything, but so far no reply. 

Heather

Michelle955
Level 2
Middletown, CA

HI Guys! I do have a good story about 4 stars.  So these people booked twice gave me 4 stars each time and booked their 3rd visit.  I was so upset I reached out politely and asked why? No response back until the week of the booking and they aasked me if my "barbaque was in good working order".   I ran out and bought a new one because it wasn't the greatest.  I was a wreck.  I called Airbnb and told them I wanted to cancel and what would happen.  They were helpful!  They called the guest and explained I was uncomfortable with the 4 stars and did want them to come back.  No apology they said they could rate my home anyway they wanted and it was not relevant to their stay.  Airbnb told me what they said and I did not feel comfortable and they backed me up.  You must allow at last 72 hours to cancel.  It did not hurt my ratings even though the guess said this was an inconvience.  I bet they wish they were a bit kinder with their ratings since they seemed to enjoy my home!  I do receive 3 stars a lot for my location which is annoying I am in a remote area I state that and I still get comments about the location.  What part do you understand that this a remote area and most people stay here for family etc.    Wondering if I should just rent the place full time it is exchausting making everything perfect and fearing a bad review.  Thank you

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Lauri-And-Roland0 Always ask your guests to give you a 5star rating.You cannot imagine how it has an impact on guests.Guests think giving a 4star rating is good but make sure you always explain the situation to the guests and trust me you won't regret it.Good luck!!!

I3
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

I try to laugh at myself when I feel hurt about a lower than 5* rating.

I work very hard to make my guests stay as near, what I would call, perfect as possible.

Unfortunately there are a lot of individuals out there who do not understand that what we do as hosts.

Small fry, like myself, who open our homes through the original ethos of Airbnb are being rated against a huge population of 'Professional Hosts'. World travellers come from different backgrounds and have different expectations - unfortunately where money is paid for 'services' people feel very entitled. 

I will continue to do my best as a host - hold my head up and try not to feel ........... 

hurt.

Smile and move on while crossing my fingers for lots of *'s   !!!!!