Agreeing to charge of $2000 to resolve the host’s claim?

Agreeing to charge of $2000 to resolve the host’s claim?

I was about to reserve a room and saw this note at the bottom below the details of the payment. It is quite startling, as it is a lot of money to be agreeing to be charged by airBnB based on a hosts' claim! When I am looking to book with a host without previous experience and recommendations, it is down right frightening and I don't want to set myself up for fraud. Is this new? I was very surprised as it listed no security deposit, in fact it felt rather sneaky!

Is this for all reservations now?

Here is the note:

Property damage deposit

If you damage this host’s property, you authorise Airbnb to charge your payment method up to $2000 to resolve the host’s claim.

3 Replies 3

Hi @Laurel2,

Definitely doesn't apply to all listings, each host can set their own security deposit price, some keep it 0 some more and some $2000.

It's upto to you too book or not. Although $2000 is quite a lot, looks like the house has some fragile antiques placed on pins all over the house 😉

Good luck, I wouldn't have booked with that host.

Thank you Jeet!

Yes, no antiques or anything spectacular, it is a tiny studio apartment that is extremely simple and funcitonal.

I was wondering if this was a feature of AirBnB or specific to Japan. The reason is that hte posting itself does not list any security deposit. It also was not listed as a fee, but at the bottom in the corner of hte page, which is why I found it sneaky!

I wanted to post a picture of it here but airBNB requires me to uplaod it elsewhere online first... so I'll bypass that. 

I am going to check next time I try to book a place if it is still there.

I'm concerned if it is the case that I might have accidentally agreed to such a condition in prior listings, having been familiar with looking under "security deposit" and varia for all associated fees or risks... 

@Laurel2 Each host has the option to set a security deposit and most do, albeit not as high as the one you are seeing.  I agree with @Jeet0 that the amount is unusually high.  It may be that this host has had destructive guests in the past.  But, for sure, the high amount would cause some nervousness.  

The little check box that you are seeing down at the bottom of the reservation page is something that Airbnb has recently implemented along with asking you to agree to the house rules.  Many guests don't read all the listing details so I guess this is Airbnb's way of making sure some of them are brought to guests' attention. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits

Happy travelling!