Airbnb Guest Robbed my Apartment and Airbnb has not been responsive

Aaron119
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Airbnb Guest Robbed my Apartment and Airbnb has not been responsive

My last guests from Europe broke into a locked room which is strictly forbidden and stole about 12-16k worth of items. I’m still overseas and can’t really assess the loss and also damage (appears they’ve pulled apart my surround system, and my WiFi and damaged the jacuzzi amongst other things - they took my apartment keys and didn’t return them so I have to replace all locks now).

I rang Airbnb after my property manager / cleaner called me as I’ve been overseas since December and sent me pictures. It’s heartbreaking. They left the place in an awful mess.

The Police has been involved and I’ll be making a statement when I get back to London tomorrow.

Airbnb has not been responding to my emails regarding this and I’m wondering where to go to next to get some sort of support.

Do I seek legal counsel if I still get no response? Who do I direct that to? Do I go to the press?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2 Replies 2
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

The Media seems to get a reaction, now that is a reasonable chunk of change, have you involved your own Insurers?

David
Aaron119
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

My home insurance says it’s not covered as they had a key to my apartment. This sort of theft slips between the lines of the policy. I’m back in London tomorrow and will give Airbnb another call. It’s really disheartening that it’s been silence on the Airbnb response front.