Airbnb Host Guarantee is a rip off

Anthony209
Level 3
Martin, SD

Airbnb Host Guarantee is a rip off

I filed a claim through the dispute resolution center within the 7 to 14 days after a guest checked out of my condo on Maui. The guest checked out on December 23rd around 11 AM.  A new guest arrived the same day and checked in 4-hours later. I live 3500 miles from the condo with a 4-hour time difference. My cleaning staff clean 5 to 6 condos per day. I emailed my cleaning staff if I can release the security deposit within 24-hours of checkout for the guest or if I should file a claim. The cleaning staff responded to me on Christmas Day. I filed a claim through the Airbnb Dispute Resolution Center for $98 the day after Christmas as I didn't want to ruin their Christmas for the guests who had a great vacation staying at my condo in Maui, Hawaii ---- one of the top 10 destinations in the world.

Airbnb through me under the bus. They said because the next guest checked in within 4-hours of the guest that I filed my dispute resolution too late and awarded judgment in favor of the guest who clearly violated my house rules of which they claimed to have read but clearly did not base on the evidence from my cleaning staff.

I submitted photos of the garbage that they left in the condo unit along with damaged property. Airbnb did not care to reach out to me when I contacted them multiple times. Their customer service representatives all said they were so sorry, but said there was nothing they could do about it. I wanted to speak with a live person in the dispute resolution department, but the CSR said they don't have the ability to call and only use Email to speak to Superhosts. I wonder why? Airbnb doesn't realize the amount of money they have profited off of me this year by grabbing commissions from both me and my guests who booked my condo. I have multiple properties on their platform and this is the type of treatment I get. 

And yet, there rules also state that I cannot file a review for this guest because I filed a claim against them. So in other words, the Superhost has to come up with the funds on their own to remedy the problem and yet are not allowed in accordance with their rules to discuss this on a review. Shame on you Airbnb for looking out for bad guests who did not follow my house rules.  

1) Why won't you call me back? Do your agents love to hide behind your computer monitors because you don't like to speak with the super hosts? What kind of company does business like this anyway?

2) Why can't I speak with an American Customer Service Representative/Agent when I call your support center who would better understand my situation?

3) Why won't you review the facts of the case before you render a decision and use common sense in your decision? Your 4-hour policy is so unfair and unreasonable. Your CSR told me that perhaps I need to have a longer period before the next guest's check-in. How dumb a recommendation is this?

4) Do you honestly think it is fair to me that because there is a 4-hour window from a guest's departure to the new guest's arrival that this is a reasonable time to file a dispute resolution (considering that there is four-hour time difference from where my condos are located)? Again, no common sense on your end Airbnb.

5) Why won't you go after the guest's security deposit that should be on hold with the guest's credit card? I have a $313 security deposit on all of my bookings, but you refuse to use it? What is the point of a security deposit if you are not going to use it on a guest who damaged my condo unit?

Any super hosts out there listening? This is the type of treatment that you get when you file a dispute with Airbnb. They do not want to help the super host remedy this problem with poor guests. I was very cordial with my guests to remedy the problem, but when they didn't want to pay for the damages, I had no choice but to go to Airbnb to dispute the resolution, but this is the type of treatment and the poor customer service one gets.  Shame on you Airbnb. 

Sincerely,

Maui Super Host.

5 Replies 5
Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Anthony209  Sorry you had to deal with that! I've had my fair share of issues with customer service as well! 

If you don't mind me asking, what were the damages from the guest that you were looking to be refunded for? 

I recently put in a claim and was covered under the Host Guarantee and refunded $400 for a damaged mattress. To be honest, I was shocked they covered me since I've read so many stories like yours!

It's unfortunate there is no consistency with the customer service reps and each one will tell you something different. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Anthony209, on Airbnb the really is no security deposit. They do not withhold any money from the guest and 'release it 25 hours after checkout.' Host do have luck from the host guarantee  but with heavy documentation/receipts and mainly for tangible items (i.e the coast of replacing an exact item.)

I have never heard of one party not being able to review because of a damage claim. Are you sure this was the case?

Anthony209
Level 3
Martin, SD

Review Airbnb's dispute resolution policy. It states that one cannot discuss an ongoing dispute resolution in a review. Meanwhile, the clock ticks and there is 14 days from checkout to write an online review on my guests. Airbnb refuses to call me regarding the matter. They aren't interested in resolving problems. They got their money. I advertise a $313 security deposit, but Airbnb won't go after the guests via the security deposit. Their host guarantee is a joke. Their customer service is something less than desired....its been outsourced overseas so many CSRs are simply taking the information (using false empathy) and merely pass the buck. They could care less about a guest not following your housrules, damaging your property. Its all about the bottom dollar. As a result, I have increased my cleaning fees to $176 to protect myself. If guests don't want to follow my condo in house rules, they are going to have to pay for it thanks to the previous guests. It only takes one to ruin it for the others, giving fewer people that once in a lifetime trip to Maui even more unaffordable. Shame on Airbnb.

@Anthony209  So sorry you're going through this. It's true that you can't discuss an ongoing dispute resolution in a review, but that has to do with mentioning Airbnb's involvement. There is nothing to stop you from writing an honest review to warn other hosts of these guests, just stating that they damaged your place and left a mess behind them and leaving a 1* rating.

Yes, it's absurd that Airbnb gives hosts so little time to file a claim and expects you to do it between a quick turnover. But that's how it is, so knowing this, it's up to hosts to decide whether to take back-to-back bookings on the off-chance that they'll have to file a claim.

If you can stomach it and want to spend the time, be persistent and firm.  Several hosts who were, have reported here that altho it took months, they eventually were successful in receiving payment.

@Anthony209 

Prior to the latest updates of the Review and Content policies, there was indeed a clause that stipulated the removal of reviews that included details of an ongoing dispute, or alluded to Airbnb's involvement in it. However, as far as I can ascertain, that clause now appears to have been removed (or buried elsewhere). I've searched high and low for it for weeks though - in the Review Policy, in the Content Policy, In the Dispute Resolution Policy and even in the T&Cs - but I haven't been able to find it anywhere, so I'm not sure it even exists anymore.

What the new policy does say though..

Why Reviews Can Be Left For Reservations That Require Airbnb Attention;

When things go wrong with a reservation, hosts and guests have two options: they may request compensation (a refund or additional fee), and they may also share their experiences publicly in a review. In order to encourage fair dispute resolution and an unbiased review system, hosts and guests must be able to use both of these tools.