Airbnb app: Unable to read messages as a host/cohost.

Michael2413
Level 3
North Andover, MA

Airbnb app: Unable to read messages as a host/cohost.

Airbnb App recently updated after not being able to receive or view messages.  

Reinstall does nothing.

reboot does nothing.

changing app permissions does nothing.

Clearing cache does nothing.

Logging out and logging back in does nothing.

Archiving old messages does nothing

Getting "error you do not have permission to access this resource"

Still getting push notifications...which bring me to the app with no messages
Pulling down to refresh inbox gives me infinite loop of loading circle
After reinstall I used to see chat threads but no longer after reinstall
Is there a paid service to receive messages that I'm unaware of?

I'm on android 6.0.1  If you are having the same problem please post your operating system info...

22 Replies 22
Ann560
Level 1
Pittsburgh, PA

Having the same issue - cannot access the Message box via the app.  Using my PC, all the messages are there.  On my phone, get the error message.  Tried all of the above - logging out, clearing cache, rebooting, uninstalling\reinstalling, etc. with no success. 

Using my PC for Airbnb is usually not an option.  My phone is a Samsung Galaxy 9, Andriod version 8.0.0, Samsung experience version 9.0.

Thank you -

Go into your app's Profile and under hosting subheading; there is an option to "switch to hosting". The Icon is of a vertical "S" shape with arrows pointing out of each end.   

Hopefully that should work. 

Julie660
Level 4
Rockford, IL

Me too, and another host I co-host for is also having the same issue.  I just called airbnb and the person I spoke to had no idea there was a problem.  Everyone call them and tell them to fix it please!

Grant87
Level 1
Otago, NZ

I am the same boat.  Exactly the same as the others.... 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Me, too, @Michael2413@Julie660@Ann560. My workaround is to go through the calendar to reach guests - messaging that way still works for me - but the Inbox is a mess, absolutely unusable on Android Galaxy A5 (2017) and Android 7.1.1 tablet. 

Rebooting, reinstalling, nothing is helping. Wondering if it has to do with the Oct 24 update. Calling CS for help now. 

I will have to snooze my listings if I can't get messages on the road. 

@Lizzie, could you pass this on? 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Michael2413, @Grant87, @Julie660@Ann560, I think it is fixed! I DM'd AirbnbHelp on Twitter and did speak to someone in Customer Service. She didn't promise anything, and did think it was system-wide (which is good - faster fixes), and then suddenly now I am able to refresh the inbox and see the messages! Such a relief!

Hope it is working for you, too. You might have to reboot. Will you write to say?

@Lawrene0, I had to reboot then i went from traveling back to hosting and all of my messages loaded.  Definetly need to refresh the inbox to see results, but it's back!  NIce!  Thanks so much!

I am having this problem and missing reservations as a cohost!! Can you tell me again what you did to refresh? 

Michael2413
Level 3
North Andover, MA

Working now!  I'll just go ahead and say @Lawrene0 fixed it!

Haha, @Michael2413! My CS rep was LaNiece, and she was brilliant! An absolute professional. I cannot wait to give her five stars in the coming survey. 

Ann560
Level 1
Pittsburgh, PA

Thank you Lawrene!  It is indeed working now! 

Brenda498
Level 1
Minneapolis, MN

I am also having the problem where I only see my traveling messages in my Inbox on the app on my iPhone, but no hosting messages.  On my computer (Apple) it works fine.   

Verity14
Level 1
Wales, United Kingdom

I am not given the option of seeing any Hosting messages on the App. Nor can I see my Host site - I thought it would make things easier: calendar/pricing/reservations/etc, but it's just loaded another memory-hungry app onto my iPhone. So strange when Airbnb suggest you as a host load the app....

Can you ever get it to show from a host rather than a travelling perspective? Thanks

Hi @Verity14 🙂

There is reported glitches and bugs so it is impossible to use the app currently - the IT department is working on fixing all the problems so just use the web browser until it is fixed.