Airbnb lack of support in face of abuse from guest

Mary1185
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Airbnb lack of support in face of abuse from guest

Last week for the first time in 7 years of hosting , a guest caused serious damage to property. I followed Airbnb’s advice on all things and was assured it would be prioritised. Reality: abusive malign emails from guest making false accusations leave me in tears. Platitudes and false promises to treat as a priority was Airbnb’s response. 

I am appalled that they have let this first time guest cyber bully me and done nothing. I am ceasing to host. 

7 Replies 7
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Mary1185 

Why let the experience of 1 single guest put you off been a Host?

You have fantastic reviews.

What type of damage did the Guest do?

Did you apply for expenses incurred through the Resolution Centre?

Did you review the Guest and also report him on his profile, if it was within good reason to?

All the best & focus on your upcoming Guests as he will probably  be 1 in a 1,000 

Mary1185
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

The issue isn’t the guest. It’s airbnbs response. It’s clear they don’t value me. 

The resolution centre has been tardy and Airbnb have broken their word. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry you have had such a bad experience.

What stage are you at with Airbnb? What are you waiting for Airbnb to do @Mary1185 Try them on social media if they are not replying to your fall up calls or emails.

If you haven't done so already please block the guest and don't communicate with her further.  Airbnb should really have already done that if she is being abusive.

If you haven't done so already @Mary1185  all you need to do is submit your claim to her for the damages and if she refuses to pay - escalate it to Airbnb and submit a claim with the necessary evidence and quotes that you may have got to date for repair/replacement. (Before your next guest arrives).

Mary1185
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thanks Helen. I’m at divorce level with Airbnb. I’m no longer interested. I was told I just had to put up with the emails but that they would treat my case as priority. Priority seems to mean wait 8 days for a call      - which was promised to happen within 24 hours. I’ve submitted all the proper documents- including a note she left admitting to the damage. Frankly I don’t care if they pay or not now: it’s the disregard for my distress and failure to do what they promised that means I won’t add to their profits any longer. 

Thomas1033
Level 10
North Tonawanda, NY

@Mary1185  I’m not sure how it is in the UK but in the USA if you tell someone to stop contacting you then if they do it again you can report to police for harassment.  Good luck with that and hope they stop!

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Mary1185 

You expect too much from Airbnb Customer Service. Better stop hosting if you can not deal with their low level of customer support.But as you have fine reviews, i would recommend to continue hosting and keep up the good work !

Best regards,

Emiel

Bruce303
Level 1
Hillsdale, NJ

i had a similar experience. airbnb does not support the host in these matter despite their claims