Airbnb not refunding . Its loot

Ur2
Level 1
Rouse Hill, Australia

Airbnb not refunding . Its loot

I am disappointed because my initial request was just a query.

The reserve wasplace with a question “Is it Possible to make booking?”

Just made an enquiry about the place been available for booking and instead of response the full amount was deducted straight from my credit card without my consent. Cancel the cooking in first 2hours itself and clearly stated that it was just an enquiry. However the host delayed the response and then stated that there not refund for this type of booking. 

After numerous messages the fund was not fully refunded back. I contacted the Airbnb support team for cancellation which was within 48 hours of the booking and they responded that its upto the host to refund not us. 

Then their response was 

It has a Strict Cancellation policy that says -

"Free cancellation for 48 hours, as long as the guest cancels at least 14 days before check-in (time shown in the confirmation email).

After that, guests can cancel up to 7 days before check-in and

get a 50% refund of the nightly rate, and the cleaning fee, but not the service fee."

As per the policy this reservation was not qualified to receive full refund.

This ( request) booking was made on December 26 at 10: 08 am and was cancelled on December 27 at 9:02 pm.

As per the policy reservation was qualified to receive full refund if trip was cancelled at least 14 days before checkin.

How can I cancel a trip at least 14 days before check-in that was booked  8 days before? That’s seriously stupid.

Same property was listed again and was booked by someone else, which clearly state that they did not make any loss on the booking. This is not fair. Complete example of a loot. To add on the customer service team said it couldn’t do much about it as host has to refund as per their policy not Airbnb.

Full refund of payment which they are not willing to do so. Do know what to do. Seriously it loot.

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ur2  The error was yours. If you want to just ask a host a question, you send an Inquiry message by clicking on "Contact Host" at the bottom of the listing description. 

An Inquiry message does not obligate you in any way and even if the host preapproves it, the guest still has to go on to book, you aren't just automatically charged. 

But you sent a booking request instead, and as soon as a host accepts a request, the guest is charged.

As for the cancellation policy, no, it's not "stupid". You just failed to thoroughly read it and understand it. On a strict policy, the host doesn't want guests to be able to just cancel less than a week before the check in date and get a full refund. Of course you won't get a full refund if you book the place 8 days before check in day, when it says 14 days. If a guest had booked the place 3 weeks before, and cancelled 14 days prior, they would get a full refund.

You are trying to blame someone else for the fact that you didn't bother to inform yourself of how to send the host a question, or how the cancellation polucy works.

I'm sorry you lost money, but it's not anyone else's fault and it's not a "loot". When you sent a booking request, you were agreeing to the cancellation policy stated in the listing. It's a contract.

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Salut @Ur2 ,

Sorry for your lost. 

Did you try to contact Airbnb Support Center, the team will happy to assist you.

In case, you has tried it’s. but please try again with different team and open the case again.
Explain well yours cancellation reason and mistakenly with booking request  to the support team, and you wish to get back the refund.

As you make the cancellation in the next day from the booking date.The support center will message the host to negotiate for the refund. Of course, host can decline  the request as clearly described in the cancellation policy. 

In personally experience, normally we made the full refund to the guest even though our cancellation is in strictly term.

Guest do make mistakes in booking request and did not beware of the Airbnb cancellation policy.

@Sarah977  is absolutely right. Do read well before booking in every listing and understand the Airbnb cancellation policy. 

Do send a message to the host and kindly ask for the refund, follow by request to the Airbnb Support Help to assist you. 

Wish your host can refund to you and  hope Airbnb Support Ambassador can help you in your case.

Good luck 🤗