Airbnb support openly not honoring written policies

Steven973
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Airbnb support openly not honoring written policies

I have a guest that instant booked and I felt comfortable having this feature turned on with the stated 100% penalty free cancellation policy for instant bookings. The reality is that if I go to cancel in the app, there is a penalty. So, I contact support via message and did not receive a response. So, then I called. 

After waiting quite some time, I reached Mikel at support who declined to allow a cancellation without penalty. The guest would not offer the information I request under guest requirements, and after reaching out multiple times, he just did not respond. Mikel said she spoke to him and he said that he was fine to wait until the stated check in time and that he would message me. Still no message from the guest after nearly two days and no confirmation on no parties/noise after 11 PM. Support rep Mikel argued that he just booked (nearly two days ago), check in time is too far away to cancel just yet (3 days left until check in) and that I actually am not allowed to just cancel based on not getting the information I have stated under guest requirements and because the reservation makes me uncomfortable. And then she said I have to wait and completely stopped responding.

Any suggestions on what to do? Whenever I’ve had this situation with an unresponsive guest, they threw a party and trashed my place. 

Steven

2 Replies 2
Frank1220
Level 1
Cleveland, OH

Disable instant book.....unwanted guests who break house rules have figured out to get someone who is verified to book the place and AirBNB is so slow to ban them that they will be able to keep rotating group members. Though it hurts your ability to host, there isn't much AirBNB can do with their verification process failing and no business travelers to fill in the gaps for the party crowd. Develop a suscept profile and decline the bookings. That's the only way during COVID and beyond. I've had so many people with these 1 day - Friday night only/Saturday night only/Friday & Saturday night only bookings that I decline them all at this point. It's tough!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Steven973 Just ring up support again and start from scratch with a new support person. Hopefully you'll get a better one as it is often person specific.