Altering reservation within 48 hours but airbnb charged me

Yessy1
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Altering reservation within 48 hours but airbnb charged me

Hi I hope someone can help me with my problem. I booked an apartment for 9 days less than 48 hours ago. When I checked my ticket I was only needing to stay there for 8 days rather than 9. I contacted the host and he mentioned that i could alter the date and should be able to get a refund for the one day i wont be staying there. However, when I was about to change the date, airbnb charge me 217 dollars which to me doesn't make sense. I am staying in the apartment for less than the original days and I am still under 48 hours which means I can get a full refund. Am I missing something here?

5 Replies 5

@Yessy1

Did you make a "change to reservation" rather than a cancellation? 

If so..they will probably have taken the original booking charge ( as you confirmed the original reservation) and then will issue a refund for the "change" made.

Refunds do take a little longer...they are not "instant" 

Yessy1
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Screenshot_20180523-232535_Airbnb.jpg

I didn't cancel on the reservation and yes I clicked on the "change to reservation" but it came up with this price difference and as you can see the total price is higher than the original cost. My question is that if I proceed with that will I be charge that extra 217 dollars into my credit card and then they will refund me the whole amount? It's not about the "instant" refund I was just wondering how it works and couldn't find anything on the site regarding this extra charge.

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Yessy1 That is a bit odd, it looks like you are adding a day instead of subtracting one.

Ring the number on your booking confirmation or click the link

Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide

Yessy1
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Thanks a lot for the contact number and will ring them tomorrow. Again, thank you!

Yessy1
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

If i click next from the photo above it takes me to this which clearly said that i will be charged 217 dollars, yet the host told me I should be getting a refund and to contact the airbnb team. Which i have done but found no solution so far. 

20180523_235046.jpg