BUSHFIRES SOUTH COAST NSW

Bronwyn38
Level 10
Wandandian, Australia

BUSHFIRES SOUTH COAST NSW

Our B and B is in a town that has been threatened by catastrophic bushfire conditions for several days now, and of course, being Christmas, I have already had to cancel immediate bookings as we had to evacuate and don't yet know either when it will be safe to return ourselves, or even whether our home/listing will survive. We were amazed that we didn't lose it yesterday and it's not over yet.

My issue is the difficulty in getting a straight forward immediate cancellation for guests, either instigated by myself or them, where they get a full refund promptly, without a whole lot of red tape involved and this 14 days review issue before Airbnb may or may not agree to a full refund.

It would be easier to not cancel the booking at all and just reimburse the guests the amount that is paid to me, but we all still lose the booking fees and reviews impacted.

Has anyone a simple answer to all of this please? I have a lot of other issues on my mind and with a string of bookings to deal with for I don't know how long, I could really do without these obstacles!?!

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Bronwyn38  This falls under the extenuating circumstances clause. Neither you nor your guests should cancel. Contact Airbnb and they should cancel all the reservations for you, with no penalties to you and I believe the guests will be refunded all they've paid. No need for you to refund anything, Airbnb should take care of that..

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Bronwyn38  if you get a chance and are able to, msg the Guests and let them know that when things settle down they are welcome to rebook and come and stay - goodwill on both parties at such a time is important to keep up the communication and flow in general.

Most people will be understanding.

Do remember ABB have an Open Homes program for disasters so check them out to in case you  or others you know need accommodation.

Take care

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Bronwyn38, thinking of you and hope you are ok.

Do remember if you need help ABB have their Open Homes program available for accommodation.

https://www.airbnb.com/openhomes/disaster-relief/victoriabushfires20

https://www.airbnb.com/openhomes/disaster-relief/bushfire-new-south-wales-2020-01

I have the same issue with a house in Callala Beach. The very helpful (not) help centre says to send photos of the roadblocks, govt notices re closure of the area, etc etc. Other booking platforms are far more proactive. I have cancelled three bookings with Homeaway, a two minute call to their call centre, booking cancelled and all fees including theirs immediately refunded no questions asked.