Big Bear Lake 2017 New Regulation requirements for 24/7 agents check-in and response

Michael1178
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Big Bear Lake 2017 New Regulation requirements for 24/7 agents check-in and response

Big Bear Lake is in the process of implementing new requirements for people hosting short-term rentals.  These requirements are making it increasingly difficult and expensive for Hosts to continue to work through AirBnB...thus pushing them toward using the vacation rental companies.  I have tried to summarize what I think are the new key regulations and questions and concerns I have about them.  Wondering if anyone has ideas/hacks on how to comply with new regulations while still participating in AirBnB.   From my initial research, moving away from AirBnB will both reduce gross revenue (bookings) and obviouslhy increase costs due to management fees.  Thanx!

This is what I think are the (new) requirements for Big Bear short term rentals:

• Have a check-in agent (or Host) who is available 24/7 to meet people at the rental property. This person must pass a written test of their responsibilities and execute an affidavit acknowledging responsibilities and associated fines and live within 15 miles of Big Bear Lake.
  • Check-in now includes:
    • Verifying the number of people & cars does not exceed the limit
    • Verify person/credit card with who shows up (difficult on AirBnB since hosts do not know the last name of their guests)
    • Get copy of credit card receipt, and maybe a copy of their ID?
    • Have the renters sign a rental agreement contract
  • Hosts must have someone who can respond to problems 24/7 within an hour. This person must live within 15 miles of Big Bear, pass a written exam, and sign an affidavit accepting these responsibilities
  • Turn in individual contracts (with each renter) and credit card receipt/photo to Big Bear (maybe on a quarterly or semi-annual basis). I guess to prove your receipts and max tax collection
  • Prove we have snow removal service (not a big deal)
  • Have to have an annual re-inspection of rental properties…and you have to stop renting until your annual renewal is done. (not a big deal)

My questions/concerns:

• How to comply with verifying the ID of the person at check-in with who made the reservation. The problem is that Hosts never know the full names of their AirBnB guests (AirBnB removed last names a year ago to avoid host discrimination)
  • How to comply with collecting credit card charge info if using AirBnB since AirBnB processes the payments? Can hosts just provide our AirBnB transaction report which shows what day we collected $’s?  We can print out a report for each month, or any period we select.
  • How to comply with requirement to have them sign a rental agreement/contract, since that is really managed by AirBnB as our 3rd party “agent.” I guess we could come up with a contract, but not sure that is even cool with AirBnB
  • I do not necessarily even know the renter’s real name from AirBnB, AirBnB has that info. So, how do I verify who is really renting the house?

126 Replies 126
Nancy353
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I'm not an expert as I've only been renting for one winter and last summer the lake was closed to boats and swimmers but the cycling events did attract some summer visitors. Spring and fall were pretty slow and Oktoberfest didn't seem to help.  December through March was great but you should ask someone who's been around for a few years to get a true picture.

Julian361
Level 2
Big Bear Lake, CA

Hi! If anyone is looking for a check-in agent or 24/7 compliance agent, please take a look at our website! We are certified for the Big Bear area! Our services are perfect if you do not want to be under a property management company and just need a check-in agent, etc.!

**[E-mail address & phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

- Julian

I tried to message you but I cant figure out how

Ervin5
Level 3
Fountain Valley, CA

Hi All, I'm planning on buying a vacation rental property in Sugarloaf, and I currently 2 Airbnb properties in Orange County. With TOT and use of management companies or co-hosts, is anyone willing to share their % profitability? I imagine with everything in place I might only break even with my standard 30-year mortgage payment.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The only way you will be able to estimate your profitability is to create a budget - identifying all your costs - set up and ongoing . Estimate what you can charge out at and how many days a year, for how many guests in a post covid environment and likely taxes in order to give you a likely net profit figure @Ervin5

Well maybe you should review your "business model". Or else get a real career instead. It's really hard to feel sorry for you.

Interesting thread, and tho' I'm a couple years late in commenting, the issues are still about the same. That is: people with some extra cash want to make money without doing any work. So they buy a property and rent it out without realizing that they are now a "business". And now they are realizing it's not that simple. Welcome to the real world. Grow up and stop whining, kids.