Booking got cancelled and no refund

Wan-Sze0
Level 1
Mount Waverley, Australia

Booking got cancelled and no refund

I have booked a long term reservation and realised that I have entered the wrong personal identification. When I was trying to updated, the reservation has got cancelled. Then I tried to contact the host and the host refuse to do the refund and didnt believed that this would happen and made me to do another booking. I assumed I can get the first booking sorted out by Airbnb so I made another booking. Then once the second booking got approved and the host denied that she has approved this booking. When I tried to contact Airbnb, they said they need approval from the host for the first booking and they also admit that this is an system error. When they contacted the host, Airbnb replied me the host has no "intention" to do the refund so is that meant they are going to have double of my booking fee and I will have no place to stay?

9 Replies 9
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Wan-Sze0 why would you even book the second time without handling the situation with the previous booking first and with the same host, it makes no sense at all. Long term reservations have different cancelation policies than short terms.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1361/how-do-changes-and-cancellations-work-for-longterm-reservat...

You will have a place to stay since you have an active booking but would you want to stay there with that kind of host? All you can do now is call Airbnb and have them look your messages with the host if you communicated on the platform and maybe mediate the situation to at least get the refund for the previous cancelation and the host can get the second payment and you can stay there. 

Wan-Sze0
Level 1

I have found the reason of the second booking. When my colleague rang Airbnb, they asked us to rebook then the host will have no reason to not to refund the first booking but now the host is holding double booking fee and not going to supply accommodation and Airbnb cant do anything for me even we ring them everyday and spend hours on the phone.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Wan-Sze0 the host has no right to deny you accommodation if you have an active reservation. What kind of person are you dealing with? Does she have any other reviews? What do people say about her? And Airbnb shouldn't have advised you to book again without receiving a refund first. Try Twitter, they are very responsive there. 

Wan-Sze0
Level 1

Obviously now we all know what kind of person of that host. We have tried millions time to contact her but only reply within the timeline 72 hours and just keep saying no for the refund even after we rebooked. We have been trying to deal with this issue for days already. Up to the point that we are not sure shall we go on the legal action or not. Twitter means Airbnb Twitter right? We just have to explain the whole scenario and ask for help?

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Wan-Sze0 yes their Twitter, also write them on Facebook, I always get fast responses there. 

@Wan-Sze0 No, the host isn't holding your double booking fee. Hosts don't get paid until 24 hours after the guests check in. At this point Airbnb is holding your $.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Wan-Sze0 @Ana1136 I am not following this at all.

You made a long-term reservation, then inadvertently cancelled it.

Then you made a second long-term reservation with the same host and dates.

You paid for both reservations, so you have two fully-paid reservations, one cancelled and one not cancelled.

At this point your second reservation is valid so you have a place to stay, right?

So the issue is that you want a refund of the first reservation and the host will not grant it?

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Lisa723 yes that is what I understood, she has an active reservation so she has a place to stay, but wants a refund for the first time she made the reservation.

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

0) Call Airbnb,  demand they refund.

1) Reverse the charge with your credit card.