COULD IT BE? THE UNTHINKABLE MIGHT HAPPEN! DETROIT WANTS TO BASICALLY BAN AIRBNB!

Roy0
Level 2
Oak Park, MI

COULD IT BE? THE UNTHINKABLE MIGHT HAPPEN! DETROIT WANTS TO BASICALLY BAN AIRBNB!

The unthinkable might happen, if there was a city in the US that needed Airbnb the most it would probably be Detroit, investors are grabbing houses that  are basically dilapilated and fixing them up to Airbnb paying much needed non-homestead taxes to the city and the city is coming up with restrictions that will basically stop Airbnb except a select very few, incredible to hear but if this passes it would be a total disaster and I imagine a lot of investors (and money) leaving Detroit. Please share this and lets create some waves to stop this non-sense!

https://detroit.curbed.com/2019/6/7/18656408/detroit-airbnb-short-term-rentals-regulation-ordinance?...

2 Replies 2

The proposed ordinance looks pretty normal when compared to other short term rental ordinances already on the books, with the exception of the 1,000 foot provision. Part of the problems caused by short term rentals are absentee landlords who allow rentals with no supervision.

Palm Springs Ca is a perfect example. Some long time residents find themselves completely surrounded by empty homes except during weekends, holidays and winter, when many short term rentals are over 30 days because it's a seasonal market. It's creepy.

Because most of the absentee owners can't even show up to greet guests, they have no idea that their property is being crammed with extra people sleeping on couches or the floor and that they are partying all night long and making a nusance. The police can't keep up with the complaints. The largest number of people buying homes in a city nearby are residents fleeing Palm Springs, so they can get a decent night's sleep. Absentee owners usually make up the top of the list for those hosts complaining of serious damages, so you have to wonder if it would be a worthwhile investment. 

Roy0
Level 2
Oak Park, MI

Hi Donna,

In our area we rent year round, of course higher prices in the summer, I will clarify that I believe it's a platform issue vs nuisance issue, they're trying to eliminate the platform when the problem is a nuisance issue, a host that is absent should be ticketed and fined the same way that someone renting a regular house should be fined for creating havoc in the neighborhood. The city should be putting rules governing short term rentals to weed out bad hosts (there are no bad guests, there are bad hosts). A bad guest leaves in a couple of days, a bad renter stays there for a year, I have very strong rules, haven't heard 1 complaint from the rentals I manage in a couple of years.

Palm Springs is no comparison to Detroit, you have to come here to see how badly the city needs it, some streets with dilapilated houses, vacant lots, the Airbnbs in between some of these houses are the shining spot improving the neighborhood decreasing crime/blight.