Cancellation during stay

Answered!
Mary282
Level 3
Chicago, IL

Cancellation during stay

Hi, I have a guest who has been trouble since the minute he arrived.  I'm seriously thinking about getting him out of the booking. 

He's had one other AirBnB experience where the host didn't write a review, which I usually take as a negative sign. 

1.  He didn't read any of the House Rules nor the Lockbox instructions. 

2.  When he arrived, he called me at work because he couldn't operate the lockbox.  I walked him through it. He asked that I stop by after my workday was done. 

3. My tenant in the basement said the guest unlocked the door and entered his apartment.  The guest is renting a room and the only common areas are the bathroom and the kitchen.  He also unlocked the back porch and went out there, which isn't a common area. 

4.  When I arrived later that day, I was locked out of my house.  The guest locked the top lock, which was specifically told not to use the top lock in the instructions.  He would not answer the door until we called him on his phone.  And when we (me and another AirBnB host) tried to explain the importance of reading the instructions and House Rules, he replied, "I'm tired.  I don't have time for this."  My host-friend and I tried to teach him about agreeing to House Rules. 

5. I gave him the quick tour of the common areas.  And when I answered his question that 'yes, the tap water was drinkable. it explains that in the listing' he became upset and walked away.  

6.  Even though there are signs that say "Not for AirBnB" and "For AirBnB", he is opening cabinets and the freezer and helping himself to my food.  

7.  Late last night, my Ecobee app on my phone said that he changed the thermostat to 73F degrees.  It was 55 Fahrenheit outside.  I can't imagine who would want to sleep in 73 degrees.  

8.  Just now, my other guest arrived for the other guest room.  She said that the front door was wide open.  Who knows how long. I asked the problematic guest if he had trouble with the door since it was found wide open.  He said that there was no problem. He seems thoughtless. 

He's here for another 3 nights. What would you do?  

1 Best Answer
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Mary282

let's be realistic - once he is inside Aibnb will not relocate him because host want him out.

You can ask him to leave and then sort it out with Airbnb later.

Going through your personal belongings, stealing your things/food, leaving front door wide open are serious issues.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Mary282. You may contact Airbnb Customer Service on Twitter or use the form: https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact_us#/, though I am not sure if it's been enough to cancel the guest's stay. For the thoughtless use of heating you might request money through the option on airbnb. 

Make sure you give the right picture of the guest in your review and thumbs down.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Mary282

let's be realistic - once he is inside Aibnb will not relocate him because host want him out.

You can ask him to leave and then sort it out with Airbnb later.

Going through your personal belongings, stealing your things/food, leaving front door wide open are serious issues.

Are there criteria to determine when a guest can no longer be allowed to stay?