Charging for children

Deirdre3
Level 2
Seddon, Australia

Charging for children

Our place can accommodate 6 guests, our standard price is for 4 and we charge extra guests at $20 per night. We've had an inquiry for 4 adults and 3 children (aged 8, 6 and 2) but the booking has gone through (confirmed) as being for only 4. I want to charge at least for the 2 older children as they'll be in proper beds, but would be happy for the youngest to stay for free. Does this sound reasonable? Am I able to request the extra charge after confirmation? Thanks for your feedback.

13 Replies 13
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Yes, it sounds reasonable and you can make it happen by changing the reservation to the correct number of paying guests.  Your guests will then have to accept the change and pay the extra fee.  

If they do not accept, then we have a different story.  

Thanks Marit Anne. I've asked the guests to make the change. Just hoping they DO accept it!

I JUST HAD A GUEST INSTANT BOOK FOR A 2 NIGHT STAY FOR 2 GUESTS IN JUNE.  IN HIS MESSAGE HE MENTIONED THE RESERVATION WAS FOR HIMSELF, HIS WIFE AND HIS CHILD.  I SENT A RESERVATION CHANGE REQUEST TO CHANGE THE NUMBER OF GUESTS TO 3 (FROM 2).  WE CHARGE AN ADDITIONAL $25 PER NIGHT PER GUEST OVER 2 GUESTS.  THIS IS CLEARLY STATED ON OUR LISTING.  THIS IS A $50 DIFFERENCE FROM A 2 PERSON 2 NIGHT BOOKING.   HE DECLINED THE REQUEST TO ALTER THE RESERVATION.  THIS ADDITIONAL CHARGE PER GUEST SIGNIFICANTLY INCREASED OUR REVENUE LAST YEAR AND I SEE NO NEED TO MAKE AN EXCEPTION IN THIS CASE.  WE WERE FULLY BOOKED FOR WEEKENDS LAST SUMMER AND HAVE NO WORRIES WE CAN FULLY BOOK FOR THIS WEEKEND DURING GRADUATION SEASON.   IF I CANCEL HIS RESERVATION, WE WILL BE PENALIZED.   HOW DO I CANCEL THIS INACCURATE RESERVATION WITH NO PENALTY?  PLEASE ADVISE.

If he refuses to alter the booking, I would refuse more than two guests staying in the apartment. It's that simple. He have booked for two people, so only two people will be staying.

You have given him the chance to correct the booking, he didn't comply, why should you miss out because of his mistake?

Wendy-and-Markus0
Level 10
United States

@Deirdre3:

You can also have your guest make the change. Give them a deadline so if they don't do it let's say 48 hours prior to their check-in, you can follow up with airbnb to have them change it. Also as an FYI- Airbnb has released an article saying children from the ages 0-2 are not considered guests. According to the Airbnb Rep who responded to my question stated "They will be accounted for but there are no added fees or extra charges for them.

We just noticied your reservation is confirmed for 4 instead of the 7 total guests. For insurance coverage and Airbnb purposes, we need you to indicate the correct number of guests stated in the reservation. You as the guest can make this correction by going into your account and submit a request to change reservation. Simply change the number of guests from 4 to 7 and submit change.

Thanks a lot Markus. I've asked the guests to make the change. Just hoping they accept it, because I really don't want a cancellation.

I think stating that it is necessary to have an accurate count for your insurance to be in full force is a very reasonable tactic to use.

Wendy-and-Markus0
Level 10
United States

@Deirdre3:

You clearly state in your listing that there is an additional fee after the 4th person. If the guests don't respond within a timely manner, you can have Airbnb contact them to make that change.

A side suggestion is also your cancellation policy. You have it set at moderate meaning people can cancel 5 days prior to their check-in and get a full refund.

Let us know how it turns out.

Good point Markus. But can hosts change their cancellation policy mid-flight? Eg. Could I now upgrade to the strict or super strict cancellation policy to deter these guests from cancelling?

Sue75
Level 2
Montcaret, France

Is anyone from airbnb going to respond to this and other threads about children. I've just had guests leave who arrived 4 adults and a child of 3+, but only put the reservation through for 2 guests. All very difficult as a start to their stay. I felt like they were trying to con me..........My experience is that having children stay is more expensive not less. They are always given baths in our deep claw foot bath, there is more cleaning to be done from sticky fingers and crumbs everwhere. Why can we not control who comes to stay in OUR properties and for WHAT price!

You can control it, by having good communication with them before they arrive. If they lie about how many are staying in the apartment, then they will have to pay the difference, or I will simply refuse them staying in my apartment.

Kris12
Level 6
Pattaya, Thailand

Of course it's reasonable. If the kids are big enough to require an extra bed, they should be paying for that extra bed, or in this case, two beds.

I have it in my rules as well, that if they sleep in the same bed as their parents, I am not charging them. But extra guests are are guests, no matter their age. If they need an extra bed, they will have to pay for it.

Bud2
Level 2
Smyrna, GA

If they arrive with more guests than stated in their reservation, contact the resolution center through AirBnb.

You can either refuse their reservation, or charge for each additional guest. In my experience, Airbnb is more likely to charge for extra guests with less effort than refusing a reservation.