Charleston, South Carolina SHORT TERM RENTAL Bans

Billy-and-Mollie0
Level 1
Wilmington, NC

Charleston, South Carolina SHORT TERM RENTAL Bans

Airbnb, we have had our place in Charleston, SC for nearly 2 years now and have made you guys and the city of Charleston a lot of money over those 2 years (not to mention the other property we have in Wilmington, NC).  But now we are getting hounded by the city and threatened to get a $1087 fine and potentially face 30 days in jail (which is a joke).  Can you guys PLEASE Step up and help these short term rental owners in downtown Charleston?  I will sell my place before I pay a fine for something the city terms 'illegal'.  But you guys are wanting me to be Airbnb Plus members now.  I cannot even currently list my place publicly because they are coming at us so hard.  Come on Airbnb, do the right thing and help!!!!!!

5 Replies 5
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

This is a public forum for hosts and guests, @Billy-and-Mollie0 , not a message board for Air BNB.  Your post is not read by them.  I would imagine you are not the only one in this situation, so there might be other discussion posts about what is happening in your area.  Perhaps you can find those discussion threads for support.

Billy-and-Mollie0
Level 1
Wilmington, NC

Yea I got that @Linda108 but it is hosted on the Airbnb website, so you know, running out of options and just hoping that Airbnb takes notice (I know they know about the situation) and puts forth a few more resources to help vendors like me out in situations like this.

Hey Billy and Mollie 

Have you gotten anywhere with Airbnb support on Charleston?

I'm in the same boat!

Kathy

Hey Kathy, we have not gotten any type of help, support, words of encouragement, haha, from Airbnb at all on short term rental bans.  But I sure did book my place out for 3 months straight from Sept. - Nov. using this site, so I helped make them some pretty decent money off of this place.  I don't know, maybe they don't care.  Or maybe they are doing things behind the scenes that we can't see.....hope that's the case because I love the platform.

Karen2363
Level 1
Sherborn, MA

what is the status of this with airbnb?