Check out/Check in Time

Answered!
Shubhangi0
Level 1
New York, NY

Check out/Check in Time

Hi,

I have a Guest "A" that needs to check out by 11a.m. (as per the CHECK OUT time mentioned ), so that the Apartment can be made ready for the Next Guest "Z" arriving at 3p.m..

Guest "A" refuses to understand the situation and wants to leave only by 7pm.

On requesting, Guest "Z" has agreed to permit me to hold Guest "A"'s bags until 6p.m.

The problem is , I NEED to ready the Apartment and I am VERY particular about CLEANING the Apartment throughly and I need this Guest "A"  to appreciate  and understand this. Moreover Guest "Z" has requested a early 1p.m Check In .

Both guests seem wonderful but 3 days from today, if Guest "A" refuses to understand, I will be faced with a DIFFICULT  situation. 

I can see a BAD REVIEW COMING my way and I dont want this for no fault of mine.

Please advice

1 Best Answer

@Shubhangi0

We once had a guest who accidently packed something in her husbands suitcase.  She called and aggressively swore up and down that it had been stolen by our housekeepers when it could not be located.  She later called to apologise and say that she had found it.  My biggest worry would be that you are leaving the departing guests belongings there and the new guest could be subject to such accusations if the departing guests lost or misplaced something during their stay and are looking for someone to blame.  You are putting the new guests in a very bad position making them the custodian of the departing guests suitcases.  This is really intrusive and should not be done.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Shubhangi0 Guest A sounds like a complete nut and is being wholly unreasonable. No normal hotel allows a guest to linger past the stated checkout time without charging for another night, and neither should you. Checkout time is check-out time. You have to clean AND another guest will be arriving very soon.

I don't know how your space is set up (separate apt, entire house, room in your house, etc) but what we do (ours is a private apartment outside of our own house) is offer to hold the departing guest's luggage outside of the rental apartment. We sometimes even offer to allow the guest to "hang out" in our home's living room or back deck until their departure time. We *never* *ever* allow them to stay in the apartment 1 minute past checkout-time, or leave their luggage there. For one thing, we have a tight window in which to clean and prep (3 hours) and we don't believe that the following guest's experience should be colored by having someone else's belongings in the space or having that previous guest come in to retrieve the luggage.

Repeat to them again what the rules were *when* they booked. Mention that no hotel on Earth operates the way they're thinking. Yeah, they'll probably give you a lower review, but you have to hold the line. If they do leave you a bad review, you should hope that they do complain about being denied the late checkout. If they do, you can add a very brief comment that will be understood by 95% of potential guests: "The guest asked if their checkout could be delayed until 7pm instead of the usual 11am. We explained that because other guests would be checking in at 3pm and that we needed time to clean properly, that wasn't possible, as made clear in our listing." Don't say anything more than that. Most people will get that *entirely*.

Emma94
Level 10
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I don't get why didn't you just charge them for the late check out? You are entitled to that, especially when he was being unreasonable. If he left you a bad review just write a rebuttal. I don't worry so much about a bad review if I know I haven't done anything wrong. It's how you word the rebuttal that is more important. Stick to your rules and don't let them control you.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

After 11am they are trespassing, boot them out.

David

@Shubhangi0

We once had a guest who accidently packed something in her husbands suitcase.  She called and aggressively swore up and down that it had been stolen by our housekeepers when it could not be located.  She later called to apologise and say that she had found it.  My biggest worry would be that you are leaving the departing guests belongings there and the new guest could be subject to such accusations if the departing guests lost or misplaced something during their stay and are looking for someone to blame.  You are putting the new guests in a very bad position making them the custodian of the departing guests suitcases.  This is really intrusive and should not be done.