Covid-19 paying staff

Joanna509
Level 1
Bath, United Kingdom

Covid-19 paying staff

Hi all, 

We have now had a a month of bookings cancelled due to Covid-19, and in all likelihood will have bookings throughout May & June (and beyond?) cancelled too.   As Airbnb hosts we have certain people that we rely on to help us, such as our lovely cleaner in the village who we pay after each clean. We don't have a contract as such, just an informal arrangement. We would like to continue to pay her something throughout this period, but it is obviously difficult without any rental income coming in and continued expenses that need to go out. 

I just wondered what everyone else is doing and what seems like a fair (and affordable) arrangement? I'm sure she will be happy to do a big 'spring clean' before we are allowed to have guests again. Would she be classed as an 'employee' so that I could re-claim 80% of her earnings from the government? (I'm guessing not?)

If anyone has advice or links to information I would be grateful. 

Thank you.

1 Reply 1
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Are you paying her cash in hand, rather than on the books @Joanna509  if so,  she is not an employee, but self-employed.

If she has been declaring her income she may be able to get something back from the government as being self-employed?

I am getting my cleaner to clean my place regularly so she has some replacement income. But this only works if you live near your cleaner. She has a  company so I am hoping will also be able to get something back from the government.